Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I recently purchased a Glenfield model 70 made in 1978 from a pawn shop for a decent price (about $100). I don't have any major complaints with the gun, it cycles well and hasn't jammed yet. The biggest issue that I have with it is that there is about a centimetre of trigger creep before it engages the hammer. I would like to eliminate this because I plan to use it for small game hunting and I think it would greatly improve the rifles accuracy. I have found a couple after market trigger parts and I was wondering if either of these would eliminate the trigger creep. Does anyone have experience with these products?

I have some other things I'd like to do with this gun as well; LSHO conversion, aftermarket bolt handle, and refinishing stock. However, those are far in the future and mostly irrelevant if I cant fix the trigger creep.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mcarbo has a good reputation for improving triggers from what I have read. I don't have their kits as most of my Marlins have pretty decent triggers but I have thought about experimenting. I'm afraid I'll like the change and then want to mod all the other Marlins! That would be pricey for me. I would say look around though as well because there are lots of good Marlin rimfire gunsmithing threads as well for improving performance. DIP is another company in the trigger game, I believe their setups are full replacement versus a kit. However I don't know if there products apply to the model 70 or not. Good luck but with Mcarbo stuff I don't think you will need it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Mcarbo has a good reputation for improving triggers from what I have read. I don't have their kits as most of my Marlins have pretty decent triggers but I have thought about experimenting. I'm afraid I'll like the change and then want to mod all the other Marlins! That would be pricey for me. I would say look around though as well because there are lots of good Marlin rimfire gunsmithing threads as well for improving performance. DIP is another company in the trigger game, I believe their setups are full replacement versus a kit. However I don't know if there products apply to the model 70 or not. Good luck but with Mcarbo stuff I don't think you will need it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Thank you for the help! I will look into DIP!

·
Super Moderator
15,739 Posts
Welcome from Alabama...

Those you posted from Mcarbo will work... I like the shape and feel of the DIP trigger better though...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome from Alabama...

Those you posted from Mcarbo will work... I like the shape and feel of the DIP trigger better though...
Thank you from Ames, Iowa! I looked at the DIP triggers. I think I like the look of the MCARBO triggers a little more. Just personal preference, I'm sure performance wise they are comparable. I will post an update with before and after pics and a video showing the previews trigger creep and the corrected trigger (As long as people can forgive me for dry firing my rim fire, snap cap 22Lr. are hard to come by these days). I'm excited to see what this baby can do in the field!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
There is no trouble getting .22 lr snap caps. Go to the hardware store and get a box of yellow plastic wall anchors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts