Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing the 'too tight lockup" problem - Update ...

I bought an 1894C that was made in 1982 that saw very little use if any ... so I understand it needs breaking in before smoothness sets in. However, as I do the TV-cycle-the-action process, it locks up maybe every 20th time very tightly. It is so tight, that I have to brace the stock on the side of my leg and pull the lever very hard to open the lever. I know some have smoothed the surface of the plunger to accomplish the smooth action they are wanting. I want to try the same but am unsure of which side I should lightly stone or sandpaper. It appears to me both sides somehow work to accomplish good lockup and easy release and smoothing down one side might make the other more difficult to accomplish what it is supposed to do. I hope I am making sense here ... here is a picture of my action ... can someone tell me which side I should work down a little to lessen the tight lockup ... the red side? ... or the yellow side?

My 1894C ...

The plunger area ...

I have already lessened the pointed knife-like edge between the two sides ...

bjm

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Re: Fixing the 'too tight lockup" problem

I ran into a similar problem on one of my '94s where the plunger hole had a burr in it that kept the plunger from moving smoothly. Tap out the plunger retaining pin and remove the plunger and spring. Find the drill bit that most closely matches the hole, maybe 1/4" or so. Run the drill bit in the hole to remove any burrs and smooth it up inside, then put the plunger back in without the retaining pin and see how it feels. Make sure it moves smoothly. Then reinstall the retaining pin. While I had it out I removed a coil or two from the plunger spring. If the plunger is binding in the hole it could cause the problem you describe.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts

Doc Fillem said:
I ran into a similar problem on one of my '94s where the plunger hole had a burr in it that kept the plunger from moving smoothly. Tap out the plunger retaining pin and remove the plunger and spring. Find the drill bit that most closely matches the hole, maybe 1/4" or so. Run the drill bit in the hole to remove any burrs and smooth it up inside, then put the plunger back in without the retaining pin and see how it feels. Make sure it moves smoothly. Then reinstall the retaining pin. While I had it out I removed a coil or two from the plunger spring. If the plunger is binding in the hole it could cause the problem you describe.
Doug,

Doc's got the right idea..........If you want to stone the angle on the plunger, stone the side that faces the triggr opening in the lever.

Tom

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thank you for the replies guys. I appreciate it.

bjm

·
Registered
871 Posts

I have no idea how to fix your rifle. Sorry.

I just wanted to say that your 5 rules for happiness in your signature are truly profound.

Hope you get the kinks worked out of your rifle.

5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

·
Registered
243 Posts

you might also try swapin' parts from another marlin, somtimes i do that to try to solve a problem. and if you remove any coils off the spring, do it a little at a time. cause if you get it to light, the lever will want to pop open with a full mag. but they are pretty stiff from the factory. you can also polish the pin in the trigger plate that the plunger locks up with. keep after it, you'll figure it out. those are some sweet rifles.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

Once you've taken the plunger out and inspected for burrs and such, consider removing a coil from the spring.

Next a good polishing compound on the surface while working the lever will help it ride smoother.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks again guys. I will try 'em all until it's smooth as warm butter like my other Marlins. I am going to remove the plunger, check for burrs, and clip a very small part of the spring. It will be fine in time.

bjm

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Fixing the 'too tight lockup" problem - Update ...

Okay everyone ... I actually have mission accomplished. I used a combination of all suggestions given as I tapped out the plunger pin and removed the plunger and spring. Instead of using a drill bit to check/remove any burrs, I first cleaned out the hole and it did have some "gunk" in there. I used a pick, CLP, and Q-tips to get it completely cleaned out. I slightly stoned the back edge of the plunger (the yellow edge in above picture) and clipped off approximately 1/8"+ off of the plunger spring.

After putting all the parts back together, I sat down and cycled the '94C until I was blue in the face and it didn't hang up one time. It is very smooth now but the lockup is still good.

Thank you fellow members/friends ... you da bes ... ;D

bjm

·
Registered
1,647 Posts

Good deal! Glad it worked out.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

Another sucess, now go out and shoot something. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts