Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Most of the threads I read regarding tilted sights on a Marlin say the sights tilt to the right when viewed from the rear of the weapon.

And most of those same threads say it is a small amount of tilt, frequently barely noticeable. I realize I am going out a limb here but I am going to guess that amount is probably 5 degrees or so, maybe less MOST of the time.

I believe a person can remove the barrel after making an index mark and reinstall it until the sights are straight without any problems MOST OF THE TIME. It would certainly be worth a try.

If my calculations are right (thread pitch divided by 360 times 5 OR thread pitch divided by 72) this should decrease headspace by (.00114) for each 5 degrees of rotation. Therefore, the decrease in headspace would be of no consequence unless one is screwing the barrel in a very large amount.

I am uncertain if there is an extractor cut that might come into play and my vision is not good enough to see into my rifles. Maybe someone can help me out here. If so, it can likely be enlarged enough to accommodate a slight turn without a negative impact.

Please check me on this .

Of course, if the sights are tilted to the left when viewed from the rear (barrel screwed in too far) the fix becomes much more complex.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The only fly in the ointment, as was the case with my 1895G, is when the rear sight dovetail is in the proper place, but the front sight is canted off center. It took either redrilling and tapping mounting holes (which might require you to fill the old ones somehow) or chopping the barrel and starting from scratch. I chose option B. Couldn't be happier. Also, my barrel was frozen in place. The threads were likely galled to the point that they would not release.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I am not a machinest or gunsmith & this question may show that, but could the dovetail be recut bringing the sight to center?:hmmmm:

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I am not a machinest or gunsmith & this question may show that, but could the dovetail be recut bringing the sight to center?:hmmmm:
The standard Guide gun front sight is held on by two screws, unlike the above aftermarket brake. You could cut the barrel with a new dovetail, but you'd have the old screw holes to contend with.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reality is that one can make a few small adjustments to "help" a tilted dovetail. It would take a very sharp eye and better than average feel for the file.

First, cut the bottom of the dovetail away ON ONE SIDE, tapering it to nothing on the opposite side, this lowers one side of the dovetail.

Then you would dimple the uncut side of the dovetail floor to raise that side slightly.

The top of the dovetail above the side raised with dimples would need to be relived while the other side would have to be peened slightly downward.

If carefully done it is ALMOST unnoticeable ........... ALMOST. I did this one time to save an original barrel on an 1893.

To apply this to a later model Marlin is possible and it would work IF the front sight is tilted to the right when looking at it from the rear. Line up the front sight like a stated above and then '"cheat" the dovetail in the opposite direction to straighten it up.

However, this would be dependent upon each sight only needing to be moved a minimal amount.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
What type of front sight do you have? Dovetail or ramp? If it's a ramp, simply level the receiver in a padded vise. remove the front ramp and reposition it level, Then re-drill in the correct spot and tap. The ramp should hide and cover the pre-existing holes. These are shallow holes, so be sure to measure depth of the original holes.

A drill press and someone to help hold the rifle level worked for me. I've done several that way because of off center sights. Take you time. It's certainly easier than removing the barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts