Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I just got my new 1894 CSBL with XS rail and sights. I love it and it looks awesome, but the front sight is hanging off the the right! Haha. I knew I wasn't going to get lucky and get a gun with no problems. I found a bunch of videos on how to adjust the rear sight, but not the front. Do I just go buy a "push" or something softer than the front sight and gently hammer it center? I don't want to twist or move the barrel is it happens to be straight. Also, do I need to remove it and add lock tight or something? Please take a look at the pics below and I'd love to hear any advice you have. I'm going to the range on Wednesday and I'm a bad enough shot with straight sights! HAHA.
Thanks boys!
jerdog3

Marlin Front Sight_1.JPG
Marlin Front Sight_3.JPG

·
Super Moderator
15,429 Posts
If it is already sighted in then you'll have to adjust the rear after you do the front... Support the barrel with a piece of wood or a gunsmiths block and use a brass punch. Set the punch on the sight and slowly tap it with a hammer until it is centered. Then you'll have to adjust the rear to compensate...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is already sighted in then you'll have to adjust the rear after you do the front... Support the barrel with a piece of wood or a gunsmiths block and use a brass punch. Set the punch on the sight and slowly tap it with a hammer until it is centered. Then you'll have to adjust the rear to compensate...
Thanks Scorpisub! Do I need any kind of "bonding" element? I'm so dumb I don't know when to use lock tight and when not to. I usually have to watch a few youtube videos and see what they do. Haha.
Thanks again!
jerdog3

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Front sight is in a dove tail groove. They're usually in pretty tight. Make sure the barrel screws and snug before you beat on it. But don't strip them. Best to support both the barrel and the base of the sight.

Unless you know someone with a sight pusher.
IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0216.jpg IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0219.jpg

Clamps to the barrel, or handgun slide, and the bolts push the sight one way or the other. Many different iterations of these. This one is home made.

·
Super Moderator
15,429 Posts
No bonding agents... It is an interference fit...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front sight is in a dove tail groove. They're usually in pretty tight. Make sure the barrel screws and snug before you beat on it. But don't strip them. Best to support both the barrel and the base of the sight.

Unless you know someone with a sight pusher.
View attachment 785499 View attachment 785501 View attachment 785503 View attachment 785505 View attachment 785507

Clamps to the barrel, or handgun slide, and the bolts push the sight one way or the other. Many different iterations of these. This one is home made.

You wouldn't happen to live in Woodland Hills? Haha. I'll look in my daughters Barbie toy box for something that might work. Haha. Darn it!
The thing is I have to do it at the range because the front sight is all the way to the right, and the rear is all the way to the left, so I'm worried it was actually sighted in like this and I won't be able to adjust it. But I will have to find out at the range. Will an AK/SKS sight tool work?

AK:SKS sight tool.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
I cant imagine that Remlin did any "sighting in" of that rifle. I would say they just didnt install the sights with a lot of care. I would get everything centered as best you can at home and then head to the range and check the results and adjust the rear accordingly. The SKS tool should work for at least getting the front sight centered.

Anyone with a love for lever action rifles should invest in a sight pusher/puller. I grabbed one on sale at Midway USA 10 years ago when it was on sale and its the best thing I did. Makes upgrading or replacing/adjusting front sights smooth and easy.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I would center the front sight at home with the tool at home and adjust the rear sight at the range. Rear sights are usually easier to adjust as you do not need to worry about supporting the ramp as with front sights. I use a brass punch made for the job from Skinner sights.
Testimonials

Punch.jpg

This punch has flat side that is useful in some instances.

Or you can make your own.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Shoot it first. Then you'll know if that front sight needs to be that far to the right. Once you know, then you can proceed, and I keep my punch and other tools in my range bag. You can always drift that front sight to the left while you are at the range once you know how the gun shoots with the sight that far to the right.

·
Banned
3,193 Posts
in moving anything on a gun with a punch you want to gently persuade it. it not like splitting wood with a maul, using a brass, nylon or delrin punch will prevent damage, might take sharp blows with a small hammer but you don't want to smash it and risk breaking or bending sight base screws

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I find a small piece of wood to support the sight base DIRECTLY. Remember that you are trying to move the insert in the base - not move the base on the barrel.

Lay the rifle on it's side while supporting the sight base on the piece of wood.

Use a brass or aluminum punch on the bottom of the sight blade insert. Alternatively glue a little lump of leather onto the tip of a steel roll pin punch. Don't use a nail set or a sharp "pointy" punch...

Give it a smart whack with a light tack hammer. Do not use a big heavy nail hammer or a 3# sledge/brass mallet..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts