Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be in the market for another fixed power (6X) scope real soon. My spending limit is $150. Anyone had any experience with the Weaver K-series? I've used Simmons before without ill effects. Anyone ever use a Millet scope? I'd never heard of them before yesterday. What about BSA? I must admit I'd love to get a Burris, Leupold or Nikon but can't find one in my price range. :cry: I use fixed power only. I have a Redfield Widefield 4X on my other Marlin now. I really like it. But they are a tad out of my reach right now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ive had a 4 power Weaver on my 30-06 for at least fifteen years or more and it has never failed me. I keep thinking I need something new but when I compare it to other scopes it is as clear as ever. I have killed a number of deer with that rifle and scope but I think it will be sitting awhile. I fell in love with my Leupold scoped 1985 Marlin Guide and that 45-70 bullet. I'd buy another Weaver in a heartbeat myself though.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oooogaa:

I've owned and used K - series Weavers for the last 35+ years. Never had a fixed power K fail me yet. I've used up to 6x (K6). Currently I have a K-2.5x on my .35 Rem 336C. Good and clear, takes the weather and shoots great and has held its zero very well. I've got Simmons and I have had Vari X II's and they are great of course. For my money, Weavers K series hard to beat. :D Range Finder

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fixed Power Scopes

I heartily agree with the others who say "PASS ON THE BSA." I thought I would save some money and bought BSAs to put on my kids' 20 ga. slug guns. They fell apart after about 50 shots. They now wear Weaver K2.5s on thier slug guns, their 336 .30-30s, and their .22s. I have a Leupold M8-4X on my 336 .30-30, an old Weaver K4 on my '06, and a Leupold 10X on my .223. I think fixed power scopes are great.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have owned many of the old Weaver scopes and they all were fine pieces of equipment for the price. Can't comment on the newer ones though. Haven't had the pleasure of owning one since they went offshore.

Larry

·
Registered
77 Posts
Don't forget about the used scope market. You can often find good fixed power, steel tube Weavers and Leupolds for a bargain at gunshows, shops, and internet. I've found most to be optically fine, bright enough for hunting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oooogaa -

Some 5 or 6 years ago, when we decided to get serious about collecting low velocity lead data, we had to make a choice of scopes... and initially we started with a brand L fixed power target scope: it was a delight to use: the images were crisp and bright, and the workmanship was 2nd to none... then the gun it was on got nudged off the bench and onto the cement pad under the shooting bench... and bent the tube and cracked the front element. Since we didn't feel that brand L had done anything wrong we felt uncomfortable claiming on the warrenty on it. As such we were out the $500ish... and were in need of another scope (actually several in that we had decided to use the same scope(s) on all the rifles for data taking). We looked around, asked others what they liked - generally most that we asked were happy with their pricey scopes... but there were a few lone voices that said that they were quite happy with their BSA sub-$100 fixed power scopes. Since we were looking at buying a dozen or so, we bought one (a 24x platinum) to give it a try - clearly the workmanship was vastly inferior to brand L's and the optics were 2nd rate in comparison... but after using it for a month or two found it quite usable. At that point we bought a 2nd - both a case of being in need of more scopes, but also to make sure the 1st one we had wasn't the only good one BSA had built. The 2nd one actually turned out to be better than the 1st. At that point the plan was to buy scopes as money and need dictated. Then we stated to hear that BSA was discontinuing their fixed power target scopes in favor of zooms... and in fact had already discontinued producting them and that all there would ever be were already in the distribution channels. At the point it was piss or get off the pot time: we found a source with a dozen on the shelf... and bought them all. Since then we've had one out and out fail - something inside died, ie, one shot where was an image of the target and the next just a black nothing. That has been the only total failure. Over and above that, we've had another one loose its windage adjust detents (nothing that two small pieces of duct tape weren't able to "fix"). So, score at this point: 100k+ rounds shot - one dead scope and one wounded. Other than that the other 12 are still ticking. [of note: the 500 grain full house 450 marlin loads which knocked my teeth loose and resulting in two root canals + all the other fun and games, didn't seem to affect the mounted bsa in any way, ie, after finishing that data it's since been moved to a 7mm rem mag for data taking.] So... our general comment is: for $65 they're not expensive experiments - buy one, try it and if you like it, you've saved 2/3 of your $150 budget... and if you don't, then you should be able to get most of your $'s back out of it via eBay etc. Also of note: these comments only pertain to the fixed power scopes - we've heard too many horror stories about the zooms (even the platinums).

YMMV, but do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

·
Super Moderator
5,573 Posts
gmushial:

Root canals from shooting a 450 Marlin a zillion times? OW! That's getting your head into your work. That hit home for me because I haven't had my wisdom teeth out yet. Maybe I ought to take it easy on the heavy stuff. I'm a wimp at the dentist.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
My dad bought a 35 Remington Pump new many many years ago and put a k series Weaver on it. Still on it. Just picked it up from my brother who wanted a 22 for criters and didn't use the 35 for the last five years, so I traded the 22 my dad gave me for it (keeping them in the family). The scope still works great and I know this rifle has been used for deer and elk for many years with lots of use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
35Rem -

I think the lesson to be learned from the 450 Marlin heavy loads is: don't try to shoot 100 rounds at a sitting.... but actually, shooting the heavy hitters is an "interesting" experience, very much unlike almost any other gunning I've done [and that's a lot], ie, the shooter is very much part of the system - when one pulls the trigger on almost any other round, one thinks about the gun/bullet/powder/target being the shooting system, and as the trigger puller, that's all one is. For the heavy 450's one is very much there (some 40+ ftlbs of recoil - think 12ga 1.25oz load at 1600fps). One is also very much left with the impression that whatever the bullet hits at the other end, it's going down big time. And actually given that impression, I'm very much thinking about using those loads hunting this fall (given the "damage" they did to our mtn backstop behind the target stand... it's easy to imagine flipping 150lb pigs like one does chucks with 220 swifts). But also very much drawn to the notion of a very handy/light gun being able to deliver that much firepower. So: very much a love/hate relationship with the 450. But at least in a hunting situation one will only be pulling the trigger once (or at the most twice).

W/re the root canals etc: actually they weren't that bad - didn't like being on the phone before sunrise with the dentist, but all said and done I've hurt much worse from various climbing oops... the real problem was when the endodontist tried to do me a favor the 2nd morning and pumped the jaw with enough pain killer to put a horse out of its misery (if that hadn't happened I would have probably been back out at the range the next morning vs being wired up in CCU for 3 days)... what can one say: sometimes good intentions don't end up so well?? Either way: we've taken 1700 rounds of data since and are back in the saddle and ready to march.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

ps. I expect the heavy 450 data to be on our website by the end of this week?? (though it'll be separated from the other CAS data - look under "additional data" - just to make sure others don't get surprised by the loads).

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Ooogaa,
I'd second the idea of a used scope. I have several old Weaver fixed power scopes, one 4x, a 6x and a 10x, and all were under $30 each. They are super scopes, and a bargain at the prices I find them! Save the rest of your money for ammo and reloading supplies!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I have a 1950 vintage Marlin model 39 that came with a vintage Weaver B6 scope. Still works great! The one and only variable I have is a W World 40 buck Simmons, but it's on a 22. SW

1 - 13 of 13 Posts