Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My gun collection has gotten a little out of hand and I'm starting to down size stuff a bit. Sadly I have no kids and it seems like my nieces & nephews have guns already or no interest in hunting so I may as well thin them out and upgrade scopes, buy trees for the hunting land, and get a nice trap gun.

I have several deer rifles and I may thin the levers first. Here's what I got and a little story with them. Tell me what I should keep or part with. Extra credit for a an explanation. Oh- I hunt deer in northern MN woods if that helps you. Sometimes long shots and mostly chip shots. 200 yards is a long shot, but a few may come up.

Savage 99 308 lever tang safety.
  1. Shoots great
  2. Kicks hard
  3. Gift from my dad
  4. Unlucky rifle - never see deer when I carry it.
  5. Ergonomically the tang safety is fine walking, but not great sitting in the deer stsnd (long thumb reach...)
Savage 99 300 SAV slide safety schnabel stock
  1. Shoots great
  2. Kicks politely
  3. bought from a friend for my brother, but brother not real interested in buying even if he said he was
  4. Lucky gun - drops deer fast.
  5. Safety is alright, but unlike my upper mounted safeties in bolts or shotguns.
  6. It just oozes old school red wool cool.
  7. Ammo expensive at times..
Marlin 336A 35 rem 24" barrel with peep sight and high mounted scope
  1. Shoots great 1" groups
  2. Kicks reasonable
  3. Bought on impulse.. paid a little more than I should have and spent $150 repairing hidden stock cracks, adding the peep sight, adding sling studs.
  4. Whacked a 10 pointer with it and he dropped like the hammer of god hit him after a 10 yard death run (his antlers were driven into the dirt...)
  5. Hate the high scope - I'm used to a lower scope and almost lost my running buck because I could find him in the tall scope because you instinctively shoot a tight cheek weld.
  6. Ballard rifling.
  7. May spend the money to top tap this one if I keep it.
Marlin 336sc checkered walnut (?) 3030 newer with hammer block safety, 2x7 scope
  1. shoots alright. Need to find the load & scope combo
  2. Kick reasonable
  3. Never hunted it. in almost new condition.
  4. Bought it for my 11 year old left handed nephew if I recruit him into my deer camp. I don't want the brother in law though...
  5. Safety is kind of nice for unloading and would be great for an inexperienced kid
  6. Its the classic full tube carbine that every should have!
  7. My nephew is faltering on hunting somewhat and he has 2 grandpas that have started giving him bb guns so he may inherit a rifle from one of them.
  8. may be a the first rifle to go because of the family dynamic.
Marlin 336A 3030 24" barrel with a monte carlo stock and leupold 1x4 shotgun scope.
  1. Just bought it ($400) last fall and did a functional test with iron sights
  2. Put the scope on with low rings, but may need medium rings to give more hammer clearance.
  3. Haven't found a hammer spur that works with it.
  4. Not as sexy as the 336A 35 rem, but very cool with the monte carlo stock.
  5. Have yet to sight in the scope and may hold off until I change out to medium mounts.
  6. I just like 336A's so one will stay for sure.
  7. Never taken a deer with a 3030 so I don't know how well I will like it.
  8. I would say the 35 rem is superior based on a sample of 1! ;-)
  9. Haven't really shot it yet so I have not fallen in love with it yet and the 336A 35 rem is a little jealous of it.
So tell me your thoughts people. one or three of them may hit the sales rack as I try to work my gun collection down over the next few years. Goal is to have only 3 deer rifles (maybe 4...) by the time I retire in 20 years. Have 4 bolts and my dads rem 742 semi I will do the same with eventually. Need to keep one of the two stainless steel bolt because the deer seasons seem to get more rainy every year...

PS. I added more story on page 2... just to keep the story of indecision rolling...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
DAD!!! you can give me what ever you dont want!!!! :flute:

I would keep one of the 99's pick one they are both great rounds... I have the 300 Sav so Im a little partial to that one. Then the 35 Remington and lastly the 24" barrel 30-30

Thats just me, others may have different reasons to keep or get rid of others.

Doc

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
I would say get rid of you 336 A's..... because I want them!

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
126 Posts
DAD!!! you can give me what ever you dont want!!!! :flute:

I would keep one of the 99's pick one they are both great rounds... I have the 300 Sav so Im a little partial to that one. Then the 35 Remington and lastly the 24" barrel 30-30

Thats just me, others may have different reasons to keep or get rid of others.

Doc
Except for the "Dad" part, I have to agree. The 300 Savage is just classic, the 35 has to be a keeper, and the 24" barreled 336 is the better (my opinion) of the two.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
It's very wise that you recognize the intangible "luck" factor associated with the rifles. (There is a reason that ball players never change socks during a hitting streak.) Having said that, I'd never, ever sell the rifle your dad gave you. The other Savage is "blessed" so it has to stay. I'd rescope the 35 and sell the other two 30-30's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't understand the question? You lost me at, "...my gun collection has gotten a little out of hand." Huh? Is that even possible? I mean, with Marlinitus especially....how you could you postulate that condition. :vollkommenauf:

M

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't understand the question? You lost me at, "...my gun collection has gotten a little out of hand." Huh? Is that even possible? I mean, with Marlinitus especially....how you could you postulate that condition. :vollkommenauf:

M
I agree with the above. You can never have too many guns, bows, or guitars.

You can have too many dogs, cats and horses.

Walter

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

M
Well guys...I inherited several guns from my dad and I am a mild gun hoarder and the collection is pushing 50 pieces and many i don't shoot so I want to get down to one safe and many of them will be ear marked towards favorite nephews and nieces.
Another factor is I recently got a really good deal on a SS browning xbolt in 3006 and I realized it would cover everything I need and many others could be sold because I love the ergonomics of it. Sadly... it has no soul though so it will be a rainy day rifle to back up my old ruger tang safety 3006 I bought on my 15th birthday that is getting shot out.... So its a near identical operating rifle to back up my old favorite bolt.

More story..
the 99 in 308 was a gift after I went to a gun show with my dad to get a second deer rifle and wanted a 308 savage 99. I had a 308 before and liked its performance so that's what I wanted over the old crusty 300's I could find all over. I started dealing with a guy and passed on it because the price was too high... and the rifle showed up at xmas time! Apparently the gun dealer was an old friend of my dads and he bought it for me.
The 300 savage is way more pleasant to shoot!

The rem 742 is the toughest one to deal with! It was my dads and he hunted many years with it and he told us boys to buy bolt actions because they never jam like his auto-loader! In his later years, I saw it jamming so the local gunsmith gave it a tune up so it should be good to go, but I twitch when I think about betting my hunt on it. Not sure if I should give it to a nephew or sell it or keep it.

One angle is to keep all auto-loaders and non-registered guns (isn't that what the call in background check really is???") and sell the rest legally through consignment.

I apologize for sounding whiny, but at some point you do get tired of stuff and having to maintain stuff and you should learn to love what you have and love the one your with. The marlinitis did bite me a little hard though. My nephew could always use the one I keep even if I sell the others. If he turns into an avid hunter that appreciates rifles with soul, he will get the savage 99 308.

So I was thinking last night...
Keep the x-bolt 3006 (rain day gun), the ruger 77 3006 (my bday gun), savage 308 (xmas gift gun) and one of the 336A's (cool old marlin). Then I am covered for everything. Please realize this thinning may go over a few years as I sell out other classes of guns in my safe first....

Which 336A though?.... help me Marlin shooters.. help me. Is there really an advantage to the 35 rem? or do I keep the easy to shoot and find ammo 3030? Help me decide.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Keep your Dad's gift Savage 99 and sell the older 99, it will bring you the most $$. Keep the Marlin matching 336-A's.rifle in 30-30 and .35 The Talley extra low 2-pice rings will bring you eye to the scope every time....just sayin.

Chocdog
Yep... only $55 to tap the 35 rem... tempted. One dead 10 point says it performs better than a 3030 (which I have never shot a deer with...)....

·
Registered
11,165 Posts
It seems like people are leaning towards the 35 rem lever... Maybe there is an advantage there???

Now to add fuel to the fire - would you keep a 35 rem 336A or a rare 35 rem rem model 600 bolt?
Now thats a dilemma.

I've thought about thinnin mine out also, but just can't bring myself to do it.
I have however gifted a few to the kids.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
"My gun collection has gotten a little out of hand?"

Huh? First off, your original premise makes no sense to me. Almost sounds to me that you're saying you have too many guns. I've never heard of that before.

The only thing I noticed about your list is that it seems like you need more Marlins.

p.s. Some pics would sure be nice! :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.