Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know a couple of u have done this. need to pick ure brains. I have already rough fitted the buttplate to the stock. that part is done and I am pleased with the fit, but there is a void down the middle. it only sits on the wood on the edges about 1/8 - 1/4 inch .would u leave it hollow or fill it in with an epoxy.

Attachments

·
Registered
970 Posts
My crescent stock has Bondo (car body filler) on the end to support the steel butt plate. When screwed together you can't see it. It can be added in layers to get the proper thickness without messing up the wood. Lube the inside of the butt plate well before doing this.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
If you're talking about the void in the butt plate, it is fine to leave it as it is. The steel plate is plenty strong the way it is. If you're talking about a void in the butt of the stock, I would fill it with something then contour it to the shape of the plate.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I hope that is going on a .30-30 or smaller. The most brutal .45-70 I ever owned was a Winchester 1885 Traditional Hunter (heavier than a Marlin 1895). I promptly traded it for a shotgun butt fitted rifle. I used to think most recoil did not bother me, but that one did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got it from brownells. its going on my 1984 38sp-357mag. I have cut a crescent into my 30-30 already no buttplate just finished wood. I like it, not that bad on the shoulder. I plink more than hunt. thnks for the link

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.