Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I took our first fishing trip of the year today. Didn't catch much of anything but we had a good time. We are still what I would call beginner fisherman. We have both fished before but not as much as we would like. We would like to get better and be more successful. We have had some frustrating time with many unsuccessful trips such as todays.

Here was the only catch of the day. Complete with cheesy grin.

Still had a good time today relaxing by the lake. Good scenery as well.

Thanks for looking! If y'all have any tips let me know. We could use all the help we can get. We used every type of lure and bait we could think of today. Also we don't have a boat or access to one. We have been fishing banks, piers, etc.

Thanks again y'all!
Mark

·
Banned
457 Posts
very nice, try this bait next time for trout

go to the super market and buy a pound of salad shrimp, the kind that are about 1 inch long. you will catch more of those than you can believe.

now Bass, thay just love a good frog jig.
when I go for cats I use soap, it knocks them dead

good luck and thanks for sharing

Reactions: ponycarman

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will have to give that a try. The only baits not allowed is live minnows and corn. Guess they wouldn't have a problem with shrimp. :tee:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just don't give up. I have a cousin near Anderson, SC if you are close I'm sure he would give you some pointers.

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Have ya tried dynamite yet...

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks y'all. We still enjoy it and are already planning our next attempt.

Leverforever, no dynamite yet. But I was very tempted to take a couple shots with my glock 19 when we spyed a couple big bass in the shallow waters :biggrin: . I don't think the park personnel and rangers would have taken that kindly though haha.

Reactions: cowboy66

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Fishing....it will sure let you know if you are a patient and persistent person...or not..!!

About 3 weeks ago, I and my son spent a few days at Lake Norfork in North Arkansas. It's a beautiful lake with usually good fishing. Usually, that is, except when we were there the Spring spawning was happening and unless you went way up into the creeks that fed into the lake, where the bass & crappie go mostly to spawn, it was very hard to catch anything. I managed to catch 1 crappie and 1 small bass and my son didn't catch anything. The water was incredibly clear...down to 15-20 feet...really awesome.!! You could see the bass swimming all over the place, but they could see us too.! Even the guys with their high powered expensive fishing boats didn't have any luck...so we didn't feel too bad.

But we had a good time anyway and that was the important thing.

Here's the ironic part. Across the road from me are two ponds with one being spring fed. I finally go over there and ask the owner if I can fish...catch & release only...and he said yes. He then pulled out his cell phone and showed me a picture of his little girl holding up what looked like a 6 or 7 Lb. bass that she caught at the smaller of the two ponds...wow..!! I walked over to the other pond; the larger of the two and the one that is spring fed, and caught a bass on the very first cast. The bass was maybe 1 lb. I caught 3 more bass and one bream within the next 30-45 minutes.

Funny, isn't it, that as much as I enjoyed spending some time with my son at Lake Norfork, a great fishing lake indeed; but not this time for us, it took me going across the road to the pond that I can see from my front yard, to catch fish....Ha..!!

Mark...you might go back to that same lake and catch a bunch of fish the next time...just never know.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. We definitely aren't giving up. We enjoy it too much. Eventually we have got to have a good trip and bring in lots of fish haha.

·
Registered
20,513 Posts
Congrats on being able to spend a day with your dad doing something you both enjoy!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Hopefully next time we will be more successful :)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went fishing again yesterday. We were a little more successful but they still didn't seem to want to bite anything. I caught my first bass on a plastic worm carolina rigged. It was maybe just a little bigger than that last one I caught. We also got 5 blue gill. Good sized too. After a few hours they stopped biting as well.

We watching many large bass swimming around they just wouldn't bite our hooks. We are going to give it another try monday.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. We saw so many big largmouths swimming around. Just having to figure out all the riggings and what they want. They would just look at the bait and swim off lol. Some were so close you might could of grabbed them haha.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The time of day is important. Early morning ( and I mean real early ) and late afternoon towards dark are usually the better times...and of course at night. And if you can see them...they can see you.!

You have a real nice looking spot...I'm sure it's fun being there whether the fish are biting or not.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. We usually try to get out as early as they will let us in. Around 7:30-8:00. But by time we figure out what they are biting on they stop biting haha.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Post spawn bass are had to catch, it seems they just go out and suspend and chill!

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Pony,

I know that lake. We vacationed there several times when I was a youth and would meet my dad's family from Illinois. Always caught fish!

My eldest and I are both fishermen and I am glad as heck he still wants to hang out with his dad. Be patient my friend, your time will come :biggrin:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. We will figure it out sooner or later. We were back out this morning until around 2pm. I caught another blue gill/bream as did my dad. Gonna fry them all up later. Never had to work so hard for a meal lol. Never had as much fun working for it either :biggrin:

Reactions: granpa52
1 - 18 of 18 Posts