Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DOM 1899,1/2 Octagon 26" 303 Savage The barrel has the Marlin mark , yet top of the barrel has the correct Utica stamp . so this was made early in the New Savage manufacturing plant ,with the Marlin barrel because all leftover parts shipped over from Marlin , who were making the previous model 1895 Savage for Savage ,(forerunner model very similar to the later 1899) prior to the Savage plant being ready for production
The bore is excellent and am awaiting supplies to load 303 Savage

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Nice score,.......nice rifle. The wood looks really good for a 100+ year old rifle. I'd like to have one of those. But,....I don't really need a new caliber to load for. Last year, I got a really nice Model 99 in .300 Savage. I just got bullets and dies a month or two ago, but don't have enough brass to start working up a load yet. I compliment you on a good find......

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Very nice, interesting transition. Take a look at Hawk Bullets 190 FP, with of course 190s being the bullet the 303 was designed for, and see test at 303 speeds under ammunition bullet tests forum on this site, "focus on Hawk 190 and 35 Rem". This bullet is just outstanding at 303 and 30-30 speeds.

Nothing looks better than the octogon to round barrel profile present on your rifle. Just picked up another 99, this one a 308 99E for conversion to 358, but gotta say, your rifle has 1,000 times more class, good job.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Agree with the above, BEAUTIFUL !!! Fall is nearing and I've got to start playing with my 1913 1899H in 303. The Savage lever does have a look all it's own.

Reactions: erimort and philn

·
Registered
920 Posts
A one of a kind rifle got to love the looks great find not to be nosy but what does something like that cost. Widow

Reactions: philn

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Phil,

Fine looking rifle!

They sure do not make them like that, anymore!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys. I was lucky enough to get it for $400. Didnt know it was a first year gun , and had the early Marlin barrel , which adds to the interest level (for me any way , Collectors probably too ) It has only one Collector issue that I can see , Drilled for sling
But a great gun for the Money. I think you have more Savage collectors in the U S that may have driven the price of this up a bit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts