Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot this turkey today. This is the first turkey I have shot. I started hunting 4 years ago. I set up at the base of a tree by a logging road around 6 and waited till about 10. Not a sound or sign of turkey. Was standing up to call it quits and saw a whole herd of em running down road toward me. I sat back down and waited. They came right up to my decoys. Strutted around for a minute . Then this Tom chased all of them into the woods. I gave one cluck and they all came back out. I shot this tom at 35 yards. Weight 20 lbs Beard 11” Spurs 1.25 inches. Not bad for a first turkey.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Congratulations! That is a fine first gobbler. Google wingbone calls and make one up. They make great trophies. Not all that hard to do.
All I saw was tracks and heard two distant gobbles

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Great! Started really hunting Turkeys when i was about 50 always hunted hogs and deer but after learning how to call its my favorite animal to hunt.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
"Not bad for my first Turkey" could be the understatement of the month. That's a brute! My very first turkey was my biggest. 20 lbs. 4 oz.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Hey Mophet - congrats on your first turkey. The first one is always special (I remember my first one 27 years ago). In what state did you bag your trophy?

·
Registered
83 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Turkey hunting is my greatest outdoor passion. I remember well my "first" several years ago. There have been many since, and each one has been just as exciting as that first one. I hope it is the same for you.

You found the key ingredient. The best "tip" I ever give for turkeys is to STICK WITH IT. Here in Missouri we get to hunt until 1:00. I have taken as many birds between noon and 1:00 as any other time of the day. I try to never stop early unless there is a bird over my shoulder. :)

Dan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts