Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,352 Posts
DRSLYR, I've vaguely remember seeing this before. What is the intention of the coated bullet? Limit lead build up? Looks cool.

Reactions: DRSLYR

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are quite a few benefits to powdercoating bullets
Elimination of leading , elimination of the grease lubes, easier gun and die cleanup, long term storage without lube migration, greatly reduce to total elimination of smoke form barrel when shooting, able to shoot softer alloys faster, the ability to color code alloys, bullet sizes, weights or applications easily

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys--

Smoke 4320 answered all your questions about powder coating. In fact, I just ordered a 3-color powder coating package from him yesterday. He is the expert.

94Win, I baked these bullets in a toaster oven I bought at a rummage sale for $5. I did it outside, so no problem with the wife.

DRSLYR

·
Registered
28,627 Posts
Hey Guys--

Smoke 4320 answered all your questions about powder coating. In fact, I just ordered a 3-color powder coating package from him yesterday. He is the expert.

94Win, I baked these bullets in a toaster oven I bought at a rummage sale for $5. I did it outside, so no problem with the wife.

DRSLYR
your giving me ideas. I have a toaster over in my garage. a harbour freight near by. how did you coat em? thanks.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I baked these bullets in a toaster oven I bought at a rummage sale for $5
If you haven't already done it, stick a thermometer in that oven and when it holds a steady 400 degrees mark the dial. The dial on those little ovens usually aren't very accurate. I've never used Smokes powders but at present am using Eastwoods powder. Any higher quality powder other than Harbor Freights is like night and day.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You coat the cast bullets by placing them in a Cool Whip tub, pour in some powder coat and swirl them around briskly for a minute or two.

I bought an oven thermometer at the same rummage sale where I bought the toaster oven.

DRSLYR

·
Registered
14,566 Posts
Powder coat has always put me off because of abrasives. Besides that powder coat came out for fishing lures several years before
bullets. I was heavy into mass production of jigs from 1/16th to 1/4oz. I bought powder coat outfit and used a old toaster oven.
when I went to get them out all I had on racks were hooks, the lead heads melted and dripped off. I abandoned the process and
went back to airbrush and Laquer. It was operator error I'm sure, but it did me on powder coat. I did a mil-surp Brn HP and a Berretta
Bobcat with some kind of powder coat 10yrs ago. They came out fairly nice but finish wasn't durable and didn't last.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
I refuse to run abrasives down my barrels no matter how fine the grit is.
I have heard about this with certain types of powder such as Harbor Freight black but after extensive research have found no emperical evidence to back it up. In fact some guys have slugged their barrel and shot thousands of rounds then slugged it again with no change in bore dimension. Zero. To me this is just internet misinformation regurgitated by people that read it somewhere else. If you think about it the polyester powders are actually much softer than jacketed bullets or copper or aluminum gas checks which cause far more wear than powder coating ever will.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
You coat the cast bullets by placing them in a Cool Whip tub, pour in some powder coat and swirl them around briskly for a minute or two.

I bought an oven thermometer at the same rummage sale where I bought the toaster oven.

DRSLYR
The tub type really doesn't matter and if anything the Cool whip tubs are weak and crack after a few uses. I have also used the plastic containers that lunch meats come in but like using plastic coffee cans as they are much stronger. I use several different colors so label the containers so they don't get mixed up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.