Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend Lloyd who has been teaching me reloading, gunsmithing and such, invited me up for the monthly blackpowder shoot at the gun range, Ive never really shot blackpowder before except for once when i was younger i fired a percussion hawken and thought it was a blast, well i sure put some rounds downrange today!

My friend brought his 50 cal thompson center and had a southern mountain rifle style rifle he built himself that was a .45 cal flintlock

it was also flintlock and I have to say i no longer feel intimidated by flintlocks, infact after shooting both i like the simplicity of the flintlock and the flash which i thought would be a big deal turned out to not bother me a bit and didnt really hinder my ability to shoot it, sadly it was a competition so i dont have my targets but at 25 yards i was getting them withing about 3" of each other around the bullseye, at 50 i didnt measure but it was mostly on the black, granted it was my first time and i was having a hard time steadying it in the wind i had a heck of a blast (no pun intended) and i think i enjoy this type of shooting over most of what ive done. Just the total involvement in the whole thing, loading patch and ball, everything is just very fun.

anyways i took a few pictures but less than i wanted, thought i'd share anyway

this is the gun i was shooting, .45 cal flintlock my buddy made from seperate parts, carved the stock and the various implements for shooting

Llyod priming the pan

getting ready to shoot

cont.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
me aiming downrange at the 50 yard target

smoke after firing

thats all i have, if i get my targets back ill post them up, i did learn about having to hold the rifle steady after shooting and that helped shrink my groups tremendously, i also think shooting flintlocks has practical applications for giving you better technique with modern rifles in terms of follow through and holding your aim.

·
Registered
14,889 Posts
Looks like you had a good time, You may have caught the BlackPowder Bug!! Thanks for the pictures.

Reactions: slips73

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. Flint shooting is all about having a GOOD lock. After that everything falls in place. One day you will amaze yourself when you forget to put powder in first and the front site is still where you want it to be. It is not like the Disney Davy Crockett flinters, Ka long pause Boom.:biggrin:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Looks like you had a good time. Flint shooting is all about having a GOOD lock. After that everything falls in place. One day you will amaze yourself when you forget to put powder in first and the front site is still where you want it to be.:biggrin:
Oh yeah. Talk about being torn. On the one hand...KLACK! On the other hand, there was no flinch and your sight picture was excellent.

Zach

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Good stuff!!

·
Super Moderator
7,969 Posts
Blackpowder has a way of getting in your blood, coursing through your veins, for the rest of your natural life, throw in some Rocklocks, and there's just no turning back! I've had Blackpowder in my blood since I was 10 years old, I love it! I love all the History it has with it! America and Flinters are as one, we are were we are today because of the need America had for Firearms, and I applaud that!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.