Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, Want to pick your brains, I know by reading on the site that a lot of you got some really good knowledge..I ordered 1 lb of IMR 4198 powder, Winchester large rifle primers and some Hornady .458 Flat Point 350 grain bullets. I also have coming a lee classic 45-70 loader with the cutter lock stud length gage etc. Is there anyone out there that has a lee loader in 45-70? forgot to add I'm using a classic marlin 1895 remlin, with a 22" barrel

And is it safe to use the powder dipper they sent for now? if you use the dipper I'd like to know some loads if you wouldn't mind sharing, thanks a lot guys. I'm new to this stuff and like a sponge, Your knowledge wont go to waste, please share your thoughts.
thanks again- Matt
This is for target round ( I buy HSM bear load until I can find heavier bullets to load)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
With the dipper that comes with the Lee Loader, and 1 powder type, you'll only be able to load 1 load. You'll find it necessary to buy the dipper set to vary the loads. Your Lee Loader will come with load data that will tell you what powders can be used with that particular size dipper. I do believe that 4198 is one of the powders you'll be able to use with the supplied dipper (not sure about the bullet size). I started with a 300gr. Hornady HP. Of course that data will/should have several size bullets in close proximity to one another.

It's a load, pun intended, of fun to load with the Lee Loader. You just can't vary the loads without the set of dippers or a powder scale.

Good Huntin'

And welcome to the forum from the banks of the "Mighty Mis'sipi"!

Mop

Reactions: Newfie Is Me

·
Premium Member
8,044 Posts
I have used imr 4198 in the 45-70 with success but I have never been able to find any bullets less than 400 gr so not sure what would be good on the 350 grain bullets. The powder should be great and imr 4198 is flexible enough to run some reduced loads if interested. the lee turret press should be a good start as that is what I have and use but my dies for the 45-70 are rcbs. you have all the right stuff so can't wait to hear a range report

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.