Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whelp, Did my first reload this evening.

50 rounds, Cast 30 Cal. 165 gr. FP .311 being pushed by 31(ish) grams H4895 with OAL of 2.55(ish)

Heading to the range in the A.M. Kind of nervous!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Whelp, Did my first reload this evening.

50 rounds, 30 Cal. 165 gr. FP .311 being pushed by 31(ish) grams H4895 with OAL of 2.55(ish)

Heading to the range in the A.M. Kind of nervous!
OH NO!!! Please tell me that that's 31 GRAINS, NOT GRAMS. I think a whole ounce of 4895 would take out the chamber, lever, your hand and half the right side of your face...............................................................................

From an OLD Time Reloader.

Bill

·
Registered
20,275 Posts
welcome to marlinowners & good luck with reloading. let us know how it performs! we like pics by the way...:flute:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Making up 50 rounds of an untested load seems a bit much to me. Better off making smaller batches and testing them before committing that much. But you might get lucky. And based on my books, that's probably a decently heavy load.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sneakybuffalo's advice is solid, start with small batches and work up from starting loads printed in a quality manual. Be very careful with ish's when o.a.l. length and powder quantity is concerned. For powder, throw short charges and trickle finish on a scale for best results, time consuming, but worth it. Long o.a.l.'s can bring pressure spikes and seating to deep with gas checks below the neck can also create a dangerous situation. Please be careful and pay close attention when reloading.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
That is a very safe load, I use 28 grs and it barely pushes 1600fp. 2.55 is standard OAL, so Id fire them up in a second.

The guys are right Id gone 5 at 28gr, 5 at 29grs, 5 at 30grs, and 5 at 31gr, and see how they shot

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Sounds like you might be using a Lee loader since you mention a powder dipper so I'll toss out a couple things about them. First off, congrats on getting started reloading. If you did 50 rounds on the Lee, you did some work!You mentioned the scoop, and you can do good loads with it but I would suggest investing in a decent scale first chance you get. It will help you learn how to dip consistently and to trickle in the last few grains for an exact charge. Verifying your charge let's you be confident in your ammo and when you find a good load, let's you repeat it next time. You also mentioned bullets of .311"diameter. Did it feel like you had to force them through the top of the die when seating them? If so, they might have all been sized down to about .309-.310. The Lee loader had fairly close tolerances in the"feed"section to aid in aligning the bullet as it is being seated. This makes it impossible to just drop a cast bullet through the top of the die if it is oversized compared toa jacketed one. The simple solution is to lift the die body off the primed and charged case, flare the case mouth slightly, sit the bullet on top of the case mouth then lower the die back over it and proceed as normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I kept seeing "ish" behind the OP's measurements...If the bullet hits the target "ish" or consistently hits where they are aiming...Just my .02

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
The "ish" and "scooper" comments are what made me think the OP is using a Lee Loader. I expect he does not have a scale so is going by the load data card in the kit, using a powder scoop and understands that while safe, it may not be an exact charge thus the "ish"...

If I'm right, there is a fair to middlin' chance that his loads may leave a bit to be desired. I love the Lee kits and use them a lot but I also weigh each charge on my scale. I can get ammo as accurate as you could possibly need but between the size of the bullets mentioned and the good chance that he doesn't have a scale, very likely didn't flare the case mouth (which would cause lead shaving) well, it might just be a "lesson learned".

Of course, I'm making a lot of assumptions. He might not be using a Lee kit. If he is, he might have done plenty of research, reading etc and is doing it all correctly. I hope so. 50 rounds messed up would stink.

Reactions: BFPGW and CWT

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
I would have to agree with Dave on the powder scale. I too just started reloading and found the Lee dipper throwing charges with -.1 to -.3 differences (in all fairness it did throw perfect now and then). I bought the trickler, and will use the dipper for the short charge and trickle to spec on the scale. I feel much better about my weights using this method.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Way to go, New2Marlin ! Sure would like to see pics of rifle and target.

I started reloading with a Lee kit in 1968 and have been having fun ever since.

Lots of mentors on this site.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Also agree on a scale. If you purchase a balance scale, suggest placing the scale on a stable box, or other platform, at eye level. This will give a more accurate reading and prevent errors from moving your head up and down to see the balance point.

There are several scales out there and I think that the balance scale is the best way to go. A good scale will last you a lifetime. I have an RCBS 10-10 scale that has been faithfully serving me since about 1983-84. Last year it started to fluctuate and I returned it. RCBS/Ohaus rebuilt it at no charge. Electronic scales are susptible to weight fluctuations caused power supply, temperature, and wind/breezes.

But no matter what scale you purchase, also invest in a set of scale check weights and periodically check the scale's functioning. Believe that RCBS and Lyman have check weight sets for about US$25.00 --economical insurance and peace of mind. Scale check weights are like a stuck case removing set for a reloading press. Inexpensive, but a god send to have at hand if and when you need one....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the kind words. I wasn't able to fire the rounds today, but heading to the range tomorrow.

Couple points to add. Yes, Lee loader. Does exactly what I want. Plus I'll upgrade once I convince the wife.

Yes, used the lee scooper. The scale shows it to be right at 31-ish. I'm not doing any precision loading at this point. It's basically to knock the fear down and go for it.

I ordered the bullets and ran them thru the .311 sizer, they be .311. I neck sized accordingly and I had a harder time keeping them in place.

The dummy rounds I made fully fit and function, so I should be good to go. They look odd seated, but if I fully seat they will be very short. I'll try and take some pictures.

As far as making 50 round, it was a "I need something to do" and I go through rounds like crazy.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Me thinks you need to go to the range, and shoot up them rejects, and make some more!

Nuttin wrong with dippers, they been using them since before scales were used.

You have a scale?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
+1 on Dave Bulla's post... I highly recommend you get a digital scale as well.. never liked the 31ish kind of loads.. The scale will help with the questions of the exact load you want.. You might want to try the reloading section as well..... there are a great bunch of guys in that section that can lend a hand too... friendly.. helpful and knowledgeable ... CWT

Reactions: unclesarge58
1 - 20 of 22 Posts