Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my new 1895 last year while traveling in Alaska but fired it for the first time today. Fired seven rounds from the same box of ammunition. Six fired with no problem. But one round chambered up fine but I was unable to pull the trigger and drop the hammer (physically could not pull trigger back). Tried it numerous times, ejected and reloaded the round again with similar results. Any thoughts? My logic says the gun is at fault.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there M -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. I would be looking at the cartridge. What may be happening is that the cartridge is not chambering completely and the lever safety is not being engaged/depressed. Here it is in the photo - the nubbin over the arrow.

View attachment 105517

The bolt must be completely in battery before the lever will close enough to depress this safety button. If the button is not depressed, you can not trip the trigger. It keeps the gun from firing out of battery.

Is this factory ammunition or hand loads?

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a new box of factory Federal 300 Grain Soft Point 4570AS. I still have the cartridge that the 1895SBL will not fire. Should I mic the cartridge and where can I get the correct cartridge specs?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey again M -- Try just measuring it against two or three others from the same box. You said six fired, one didn't. Are there still thirteen left? You might wait until your next range trip and see if the cartridge will slide into the chamber unassisted by the bolt. If it doesn't and the bolt won't completely chamber it, then it's the cartridge more than likely.

If the bolt closes completely, and the lever depresses the lever safety, then it's the rifle.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you have a set calipers i would mioc the end around the barrel and around the spot before the rim. A slight buldge can happen from rough handling before you get it etc. I personally have had more problems with facotry ammo the more of it I shoot reguraly. So I have opted to reload evry caliber i shoot except 12 ga sinc that is less than 50 shells a year now that i don't live in AZ now so I rarley bird hunt now. I be willing to bet its the ammutntion over the gun but if it is a new under Remington gun i could even be both
CD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.