Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new so please forgive me if I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I picked up a cherry 1895SS vintage '97. I sure hope someone can settle my confusion. After much research about Ballard and Microgroove barrels, it seemed that some believed that the rifle just had to be Microgroove. Others said no...it's Ballard. Then someone confirmed that if it had 6 grooves, it must be Ballard. So....upon close exam, my rifle indeed has 6 grooves. Is this then a Ballard barrel for sure? I heard that this vintage rifle was made with Micro. No "micro" appears on the barrel, just the normal info and 4 stars. I know this is a tired and worn subject but I cannot seem to get a definite answer and I cannot reach Marlin. Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
The 1972 1895 had a 8 groove micrograms rifling. Then they switched to 12 grooves. In they late 90's they switched to a 6 groove ballard rifling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well now, those are strong answers. Glad this old 'Nam vet can still see well enough to count the grooves....though I'm sure some of you had an accurate barrel history of the 1895. Thank you so very much. Gotta' play with some good commercial ammo now (primary reason....whitetail). I'm not a reloader at this time. This will be kind of new for me because what I'm normally used to is 30-06 and .308. Any input on good stuff to shoot would be appreciated. Thank you again.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Not questioning the vintage but does your serial nbr start with 97 or is it a 1997 manufactured rifle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good thinking and good question. Starts with 03.... I believe that should be a 1997, correct? I hope the year is right. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Good thinking and good question. Starts with 03.... I believe that should be a 1997, correct? I hope the year is right. Thanks.
Yup, you got it. It doesn't really matter for the answer to your question. Yours is the ballard style rifling preferred by some folks.

BUT WE NEED PICTURES!!!!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. Yeah, I like pictures too but sorry, unable to do that at this time. Apologies to all.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
well Beck, you got good answers from the guy's, But to be sure just send the rifle to ne and I will study it and make a determination, after a few years!

all kidding (maybe not) you have a great arm. the Ballard rifling just seems to me a little more traditional. I have both and the shoot almost identical.

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
So what's the issue with a MicroGroove barrel on a 45-70?

Reactions: Tomray

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deerstalkert,
Ok, I'll send the rifle right off to you. I'll give you 10 years to study it. Get back to me when the final results are in. Ha!

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
The OP has a sense of humor and he has all you snakes figured out.

Welcome aboard beck.

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Yeah, I can see we're going to have to keep an eye on beck. :flute:

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
Well now, those are strong answers. Glad this old 'Nam vet can still see well enough to count the grooves....though I'm sure some of you had an accurate barrel history of the 1895. Thank you so very much. Gotta' play with some good commercial ammo now (primary reason....whitetail). I'm not a reloader at this time. This will be kind of new for me because what I'm normally used to is 30-06 and .308. Any input on good stuff to shoot would be appreciated. Thank you again.
Welcome beck! If you hang out on this for site for very long...you will be a Reloader! Dad burn enablers around here:ahhhhh:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Microgroove or Ballard, you can make them both sing sweetly with attention to alloy hardness of the boolit.

Paper-Patched boolites work just grand in the Micro-Groove, Paula Matthews (RIP) made that clear in his classic books.

just my 2-cents as my country hurtles towards THAT vote ;-)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts