Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
No picture, but it was a small 30" mower, I think it was from Sears!!! Then a model H Farmal tractor!!!

·
Registered
820 Posts
How about posting pictures of the first thing, that you drove.
By yourself, or sitting on dad's lap.
This was the first think I drove.
A farmall A tractor, made from. 1938 to
1948. View attachment 867854
Besides driving my parents up the wall, it was the very same International tractor! We called her "Snort". It has a 6 volt electrical system. I cracked the cast iron axle housing twitching firewood. We took it to a magician of a welder. Never had a problem after that. If anybody knows anything about welding cast iron, usually you make it worse because it crystallizes the metal and fractures more easily. The welder had a technique of heating everything up to near melting point, welding and then letting it cool very slowly.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Dodge WWII WC 57. I called this my Chuck Wagon. I was able to drive this all over the county using old logging roads, railroad grades, corduroy roads, farm roads, etc. A number of the local farmers would pay me a bounty on any whistle pigs I would eliminate from their pastures.

Wheel Tire Plant Combat vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I also drove my mom nuts!, and sat on dad's lap on a Sears rider mower that had small tires and a triangular tube-steel steering bar. I also had a Tonka pickup truck with a white camper top that I would sit on and go around on.

My first 'solo' vehicle that wasn't a tricycle was a red steel pedal car (with bicycle style rotating pedals, NOT the back and forth kind) - looked more like an open go-cart than a 'sit-in' pedal car.

·
Registered
878 Posts
First motorized thing I drove was my granpa's lawn mower. An antique Snapper walk behind, with riding sulky.

Looked like this one.

Plant Wheel Mower Lawn mower Tree

Don't ask me, I stole it off the internet because nobody but the really old farts around here would be apt to understand the description of, "the deck was built to look like a turtle shell, sorta, and it had a turtle head hood ornament on it."

Yes, that big knob up front there was a cast Turtle Head. And, there was a big drive roller that ran all the way across the back under the deck.

After that, I believe I stepped up to a '63 GMC 1 ton flatbed, like the one below. (Likewise stolen off the net.) V6, 4 speed, power nothing, don't recall that one even having a radio. That was at age 12; the old man decided I might need to know how to drive out of the woods someday, if something happened to him. It was country out here back then, so quiet you could hear your hair grow. Everyone's kids were driving by 6th. grade.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Sky

Made the mistake of telling my Driver's Ed teacher I'd learned on a 4 speed and had been driving for 4 years; he made me teach all the girls how to drive the Volkswagen! (There was some seriously ugly girls in my drivers ed class too!)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Farmall 400 then a couple years later a Dynamark riding mower. Funny how I was aloud to drive the tractor(which I believe is more dangerous than a riding mower) before the mower. I guess firewood is more important than mowing grass. Also started cutting wood when I turned 9. Try that with this generation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, you see, here in Australia we must do things a bit differently??...
Not to lie or bs but the first thing I "drove" was Katherine Roberts in the Queens Gardens Park about the fifth day we wagged school together. There is no way the moderators will let me post a photo of that!

·
Administrator
29,755 Posts
Well, at 5 yrs old, I drove my wagon down our steep hill a couple blocks and turned the corner and down another two blocks. Then pulled it up the hill to do it again. Unless my older brother claimed his turn.
During winter snow the hill was even more fun on our sleds.

Jack

Wheel Tire Vehicle Rolling Automotive wheel system

·
Super Moderator
38,221 Posts
I was either five or six years old but dad had a 55 or 56 Ford he would put me sitting in his lap and let me drive. At twelve years old I was driving from Avery Island to where mom lives on her one acre lot to milk the cows, 0400 in morning with a 1953 GMC 1/2 ton truck.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
11,803 Posts
'Putt Putt' My grandfather built it in the 50's, for my older cousins. I got it in 1964. 1 1/2 HP, foot pedal crank, think it was a Tecumseh, a lever put tension on the very long drive belt to the rear drive wheel between my legs. One quick rub burn from it was an instant lesson and never repeated.

AC

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
My neighbor's gas powered Go-Kart. I was then told I could never drive it again by my folks. Next year, I saved up and got a PW80.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I guess the first thing I drove was a 1938 tricycle, without a seat. Only had the seat rod sticking up..I remember one day it was raining, and the rain had blown in on the porch, and I discovered I could make it slide by making a quick turn.
I had too much speed up and made a slide, right off the porch where Mom threw out the dishwater...Guess that was my first wreck too..........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts