Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep..it was a sow, but a largish one (didn't weight it, but it was big). This is my irst real attempt to see if its edible :biggrin:

Using this recipe:
Stovetop Pork Carnitas | theclothesmakethegirl

Except, feral pig instead of store bought...wish me luck :eating:

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Man Put some fried taters with that and I could make a meal. Looks real inviting.

Thanks for sharing
444GS2

·
Registered
107 Posts
update????

Reactions: njcioffi

·
Super Moderator
11,461 Posts
LOL - Nick said that ol sow was kinda stinky - hope she turned out well. Nick?

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah...it came out well in the end.

I screwed it up at first by over thinking it. The recipe used store bought pork..and I was worried that the wild pork would be too tough, so I used a little extra lime juice, thinking that the acid would tenderize it.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIME!!!

The texture was fine, in fact a little dried out (also, I suspect from overdoing the lime), and the lime flavor was overpowering.

So....a day or two later, I sliced the large chunks into fajita size strips, threw them in a skillet with a whole onion cut radially, and a half a stick of butter........came out wonderfully! Sautéed some red and green peppers with corn and a single thinly sliced habanero....add sour cream and some warm tortillas...some of the best tacos I've ever had, and certainly the best I've ever made!

I will do this recipe again soon, except I will stick to the recipe, and update you guys again!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Sounds great. Let us know how the next batch turns out.

·
Registered
20,162 Posts
The fajitas sound great!

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seems to me that you have some time behind a skillet going for you.
yes, well, one of the many down sides of being a gen x'er is never having a girlfriend who can cook lol :flute:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Plus you live in Austin. You never know what your gettin. :ahhhhh:

·
Registered
584 Posts
I wonder how this recipie would work with venison.

HA

·
Super Moderator
6,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd imagine it would work well with any kind of lean meat. Maybe just go a little easy on the citrus'.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Just saw this Nick ... carnitas is definitely one of our favorites. The recipe looks really good but I cannot stand the taste of lime unlike my wife and her family who are of Spanish descent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts