Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

I just returned from the range, only got five shots before gun jammed. The gunsmith took care of it and told me that lever actions do not function properly with the blazer aluminum ammo. The shells ejected fine, cartridge #6 jammed coming out of the mag tube with the lever fully extended as spent shell #5 ejected.

My plan was to zero the irons at 25 yards and then scope at 100.

The attached photo shows the five shots at 25 yards, unsupported.

45LC-001.JPG

The only ammo they had available in 45 Colt was the Blazer 200gr. JP
Hopefully I can find a deal at the show this weekend.

Peace,
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
From the Looks of That Group...I Don't Think Your Rifle Likes That Ammo.
My '93C Doesn't Like the Blazer Ammo Either. (Groups it Like a Shotgun Too)
Matter of Fact Every Brand of Steel Cased Ammo that I've Tried Has Shot Very Poorly.
Get Ya a Cheapo Box of Federals from WalMart. They Shoot Great.
UncleSarge58

Reactions: GaCop

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the Looks of That Group...I Don't Think Your Rifle Likes That Ammo.
My '93C Doesn't Like the Blazer Ammo Either. (Groups it Like a Shotgun Too)
Matter of Fact Every Brand of Steel Cased Ammo that I've Tried Has Shot Very Poorly.
Get Ya a Cheapo Box of Federals from WalMart. They Shoot Great.
UncleSarge58
Thanks, a major part of the grouping issue was shooting unsupported. I forgot to take my sled and didn't have one at the range. I haven't been lucky to find 45 colt at the local walmarts but will make the rounds again if I can't find any at the show this weekend. As for the 45 leftover Blazers, I don't know - maybe get a pistol to use them LOL.

Peace
Mark

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I'd Just Shoot 'em at Cans & Bottles, Etc & Anything Else that Is Fun or just Needs to be Shot at.
US58

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not you, it's me

Good day all,

Well, long story short, it was me - not the gun or ammo.

Longer story:
I picked up some Hornady Leverevolution 225gr. FTX at the gun show and like some others have reported, it would not cycle properly - even after snipping off the point it sometimes jammed while exiting the tube, locking up the lever. Today, I went to the range, hand fed the Blazer 200gr. JHP and used a sled for support - MUCH BETTER.

The attached picture is representative of today's results with the Blazer ammo but is not the actual target. After achieving these results at 25 yards (iron sights) and 50 yards (scoped), I shot the Hornady rounds at the same target and they consistently hit lower. Noob question - does that means the Hornady has a flatter trajectory than the Blazer?

I am happy that my newly acquired marlin shoots straight. I just need to take my vitamins, get rest and exercise because I am too run down to support 8.6 pounds LOL.

45LC-002.JPG

Peace,
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts