Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was shooting my marlin 45-70 trying to sight in... seemed like the first shot after cool down would be high and then the next 4 would drop down in bull eye... let cool down and shot another 5... same thing first shot high next 4 in bull... I guess I’m gonna have to let gun cool completely down for each shot to sight in... gun was shooting pretty good with reloads at 100. Around 2 1/2- 3”...

·
Registered
957 Posts
How are you holding the rifle to shoot it? Are you shooting from bags? Sometimes benchrest shooters have to settle the bags before shooting. Basically putting the rifle in the bags and thumping the unloaded rifle with the palm of their hand to help the sand get to where it would normally go after the first shot or two.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: 94win30wcf

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
believe it or not I have one right now doing the same thing! it shoots the first shot from a cold barrel about 8in high then settles in. even after the first shot and the barrel is cooled down, then it shoots to point of zero, a weird problem. not a marlin but a bolt gun. I am working on the problem.,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Was shooting my marlin 45-70 trying to sight in... seemed like the first shot after cool down would be high and then the next 4 would drop down in bull eye... let cool down and shot another 5... same thing first shot high next 4 in bull... I guess I’m gonna have to let gun cool completely down for each shot to sight in... gun was shooting pretty good with reloads at 100. Around 2 1/2- 3”...
believe it or not I have one right now doing the same thing! it shoots the first shot from a cold barrel about 8in high then settles in. even after the first shot and the barrel is cooled down, then it shoots to point of zero, a weird problem. not a marlin but a bolt gun. I am working on the problem.,,,,,,,,,,,,,
What are the barrel lengths?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
my barrel length is 21 in. what are you thinking?
Twist and length maybe? The odds of both being the same, on both rifles are pretty remote, but ... you never know. Anyway ... it was explained to me ... long ago ... that rifle barrels are tempered in bundles.

The outer section of the bundle are regular(?) grade barrels. The heat is, as it were, uneven. The inter part of the bundle is the 'match grade' section of the bundle. They tend to be more evenly heat treated. Thus straighter. As the barrel heats up, it will walk its way back to its original molecular structure. This make sense?

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a sporterized 303 enfield that seemed to have a first shot issue and then would settle in and shoot consistently. In my case the first shot wasn't going high but was several inches to the side.

One of the members here suggested it was a bedding issue but I had already sold the rifle by that point so I didn't get a chance to check it out.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I read about this yesterday with another rifle. the man said he sold the gun and told the man the problem. he said he restocked the rifle and had the same problem, so it wasn't the bedding.

·
Premium Member
10,547 Posts
I had a 22-250 that would shoot the first 3 shots or so wild from a clean barrel, after it would get fouled it would shoot one hole groups. the wind here today is bad so if it settles in the morning I am going to shoot a group with a fouled dead cold barrel and see what happens. that might be what is going on with the 45,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
28,567 Posts
OK, the first shot. is the forearm just a hair loose. and after it warms up is the forearm tight? ive seen some guns that shoot better with a loose forearm. BUT! some work better if its tight. example. if its loose, push the forearm forward, the small gap between the receiver and the wood fill it with a dark color rubber gasket in a tube. let dry. try it out. and its easy to remove if it has no effect.

·
Registered
856 Posts
And this is why we love this sport so much! If we didn’t have problems to solve, we’d get bored awful quick!

Reactions: turbobug

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a 22-250 that would shoot the first 3 shots or so wild from a clean barrel, after it would get fouled it would shoot one hole groups. the wind here today is bad so if it settles in the morning I am going to shoot a group with a fouled dead cold barrel and see what happens. that might be what is going on with the 45,,,,,,,,,,
I'm thinking mine is similar 336 RC 1968 30-30 ? "fouled barrel not warm shoots better" I went out yesterday and fired two rounds into the berm then went home tried the rifle out this after noon with fouled barrel and no flyers?.....jim

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
It is a known fact that if you clean your gun really well after the season the first shot will be way off the spectrum. All my rifles shoot differently out of a clean barrel. If I clean my guns at the end of the season before I go out hunting again I'll always put one or two rounds into a hillside or shoot at something and then carry the rifle with a (dirty barrel) while hunting. It has always worked for me. I can honestly say that I have never had the problem with a cold vs a heated barrel. Like was mentioned you might have a bedding problem. With the 45 you may have a worn bushing or worn out barrel. With my 45's they are tack drivers for me from the first shot to the last.

Reactions: oh-behi

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Once I sight my rifles in i do not clean them again for awhile and especially at the start of deer season they get no cleaning until season is over. Just running a dry patch down the barrel will cause the zero to change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.