Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got to shoot my new (to me) Marlin 1894C on Sunday, and I absolutely love this gun. I was shooting at 25 and 50 yards, and found it to be very accurate with the open sights. I actually preferred shooting .357 rather than .38, although I tried plenty of both. In total I got through 80 magnums and 50 specials in a little over 3 hours.

I also used it to shoot in an inter-club competition. Course of fire was a PL7 target at 50 yards, and 75 seconds to load and shoot as many rounds as possible, standing unsupported. I managed to get 15 rounds off, with a total score of 101. Much to my amazement I won. ;D

Now all I need is another Marlin in .44 :D

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
You may well need a 44 as a companion gun, but if I was limited to one gun for plinking, small game hunting, deer season and home defense, it would be the 1894C. I have both, but the 357 gets shot about ten times as much as the 44. It's hard not to love a Marlin in 357. :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase, they're definately a lot of fun. The .38/.357 is also one of the easiest cartridges to reload for, which is a good idea for the 1894. They can reall gobble some ammo.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I plan to take up reloading for it soon, got a bonus coming from work in August which should cover all the equipment I need, and I've been saving all my brass.

The .357 factory ammo I've been using is Privi Partisan, will that brass be OK for reloading?

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
I am afraid if I owned a 1894C that my other 1894 the 45 Colt would not get shot nearly as much... :'( Someday I want to put that theory to the test!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Mr Bowcat said:
Thanks guys. I plan to take up reloading for it soon, got a bonus coming from work in August which should cover all the equipment I need, and I've been saving all my brass.

The .357 factory ammo I've been using is Privi Partisan, will that brass be OK for reloading?
I've not heard of that brass but I see no reason why it won't work. What brand/type of reloading gear are you looking at? I believe all the major reloading manufacturrers offer start-up kits that will give you everything you need, with the exception of dies & components.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Cabela's sells a Lee Classic Turret Press kit that's pretty nice.

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Mr Bowcat said:
I am going to go for a Lee 4 hole classic turret with their carbide dies.
That's the setup I use for reloading 357 Mag. Except I've got a Lee Factory Crimp Die in the extra hole.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I reload Prvi-Partisan brass in 22-250 and it loads very nice and is pretty consistant

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, you made a good choice in rifle and .357mag is great in it.

Congrats . . . . ;D

(I love mine and shoot it a little more than my 1895G .45-70 - - - - BOOM!! :eek: :eek:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 1894C is my 4th 1894. I originally thought it was to light and put off buying one (being used to muzzleloaders, shotguns, and heaver rifles), but now I'm glad I did. Mine, too, is accurate. It is even fun with BP loads for cowboy action shooting! It would probably be the last gun to go if I had to sell them off (been there,done that! :() Enjoy that "C" !

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
the best thing with the 1894C and others in when its nasty and raining out and I'm bored silly and just need to cycle the lever and empty some brass for fun....I can take it to my local indoor pistol range and get my fix ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts