Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it out yesterday in the heat and didn't shoot much but got to get back into rifle shooting - I haven't shot a rifle in a long time!

At first I just loaded a couple of rounds, then 5 then all 10. This is my homemade target I shot at, not very good but at least I got 3 in the middle.

I was shooting my reloads with 240gr Bear Creek bullets over H-108 powder.

This rifle will be getting a big loop lever and a new trigger from Wild West Guns.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
What range were you shooting at?

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
I wish I would have bought more H-108 back in the day! Congrats on the Marlin in 44mag, while not a bench gun, they are about the best utility arm, you can have.

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and GaCop

·
Premium Member
11,161 Posts
Valkman,

Welcome to Marlin Owners....................

Nothing wrong with that target!...............with a "new to you" rifle, and some "new" hand loads, thats what I would expect in a load development process.

You were probably shootinh the Irons, too?.................Iron sights can be tricky for some shooters off the bench..........

I find IMR 2400 powder works well for me in the 44Mag............you may want to research that powder for your use, too......

Tom

Reactions: Valkman

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I was shooting at about 25 yards. Yep, stock iron sights for now, may add a peep sight later.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Not too bad with irons. Takes practice to master them. Young eyes are a huge help too. Keep at it and you will be posting some great targets.

Reactions: Valkman

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The truck was just here and between it and the mail I got the WWG big loop lever and trigger set, boresnake, 100 44 special cases, targets and a leather butt pad to add a little length. My 'smith said he'll install the WWG stuff on Monday!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Thanks, I wish I had younger eyes but they're 58! :)
I know where your coming from! My 67 y/o eyes won't handle iron sights any more, can't see the front sight clearly ( seeing two of em). I tried shooting with my glasses on but progressive lenses are not what you want to wear trying to shoot iron sights! I solved my problem with optics and no glasses.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a skinner peep sight coming so hopefully that'll shrink my groups. Also just got the rifle back from the gunsmith who installed the big loop lever and trigger and sear and stoned the insides. Once I get the peep sight on this will be a completely different rifle to shoot.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Thanks, I wish I had younger eyes but they're 58! :)
If you want to shoot irons PEEP sights are the way to go, SO much easier than the stock sights. I recommend Skinner, I have it on my 1894 in 357/38 and I shoot about 1.5 inch grps at 50 yards with cheap 38 special factory ammo. EDIT: just saw your last post you have ordered Skinners sights, good, they are very good and much easier to use.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Trying to install the new Skinner peep sight I got but some jerk at the factory torqued one of them down and I can't get it out. Am trying to get a hold of my 'smith to see if he can get it out.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I know where your coming from! My 67 y/o eyes won't handle iron sights any more, can't see the front sight clearly ( seeing two of em). I tried shooting with my glasses on but progressive lenses are not what you want to wear trying to shoot iron sights! I solved my problem with optics and no glasses.
An old boy I shot muzzle loaders with just quit coming around. When he came back a few years later he was flat tearing the center out with rifle and pistol. This was all with open sights. He had cataract surgery with lens replacement. He said he never saw sights that good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I finally got the screw out, so here is my new transformed 1894 - new skinner peep sight (old front sight removed), new big loop lever, new trigger and sear, insides stoned and new butt pad. Sweet - haven't shot it since the changes but am dying to!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Sweet set-up you have, she's a looker. Congrats and try not to grin too much when ya go home, moma might get suspicious. DP

1 - 16 of 16 Posts