Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first pound of RL7. I am using 300gr , 405gr. Cast and 405 Rem JSPs in my 45-70 guide gun. I know most of you like this powder with the 350gr. Hornadys for hunting . Is RL7 a good choice for the weights I mentioned? I have used Varget and IMR 4198 in the past and thought I should try RL7 since I have no 45-70 podwer. Any favorite loads appreciated.

·
Banned
749 Posts
I've loaded REM 405 bullets with 49gr RL7 CCI-200 W-W Lee crimp,this load kicks,i did get good groups.I also used 40gr RL7 and REM 405 CCI-200 and got nice groups,easy on the shoulder.My new favorite powder with REM 405 bullets is IMR-3031 52gr CCI-200 W-W Lee crimp.This load shoots bullseyes out of my guide gun.Another good powder i use is IMR-4198 with cast performance 420gr HC LFNGC bullets.Just work up your loads till you find the sweet spot.Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Dave,
I've used RL7 powder with both the Speer 400 and Rem 405 grain bullets in both an 1895 (22" bbl) and a LTD V (24" bbl). Good loads for both rifles have been 44 and 49 grains of powder. The 44 gr load averages 1658 fps from the 22" barrel with a std dev of 15. The higher load gives me just over 1900 fps, I believe. Don't have the figures close by.

·
Premium Member
12,005 Posts
Dave, I've been real happy with Re-7 and the 405 Rem bullet in my Guide Gun. I've varied the loads from 45 - 49 grains and settled on CCI's standard large-rifle primers. All charges were accurate, the 45 grain loads were very easy on the shooter, the 49 grainers made me sit up and take notice. The Re-7 seems to be a pretty clean burning powder, my rifle always cleans up quickly and well after a shooting session.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Dave-I use RL-7 in my 300 grain loads and like it.It is temp sensitive for those that live in an area like mine where temps go from sub zero to the 90's.But during hunting season it is usuall 0-40 degrees for a norm.I prefer Hodgdon Extreme powders for my other loads for this reason.

Best of luck.Jayco.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jayco,

After your previous posting I started thinking I may switch to H4198 for my all around powder. I liked the IMR4198 well enough, but I prefer to support hogdon when I can. I am not so subject to tempeture swings here in CA, but if I ever travel for a hunt I don't want to have to worry about my loads either. :shock: I may also try H322 for the heavier bullets as it seem most people are getting better velocity with that powder and heavy bullet combination. Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts