Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the post reads I am a full-on newbie to this forum and to lever guns.I should pick up my new 336SS in 30-30 this coming week. Along with it comes a Weaver base and med. rings, Nikon 3-9x40 scope and 60 rds of leverevalution ammo!! I am truly exited, being this is a new gun avenue for me.

I am a collector, hunter and like to compete in numerous competitions when I have time.I am a member of a number of forums and realize what a WEALTH of knowledge that each offers.

Is there anything in particular about this new rifle that I need to know, tips, tricks, etc that I could benefit from? Special lube points or mods that everyone does right off the jump? I'm open and can use all the help I can get. Thanks to you all!!!! Jim aka SYBO

PS, I have plans for this to be a Hog gun real soon!!!!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Welcome aboard to the forum and grats on your new rifle. I think you'll be very pleased.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Welcome to MO's! 8)

You might want to reconsider getting "low" rings for that levergun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats, hope you get a hog soon :)

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
I would only suggest you fire about a box of ammunition through your new rifle before you get in a hurry to mount your scope. IF it should need any tinkering or minor adjusting, it is a lot easier to do if you don't have to risk damage to the scope by leaving it on during the adjusting phase.
Remember too, pictures and a range report are almost mandatory. Good luck with your rifle.
Welcome to MO from west Texas. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Do you live in hog country or are you just planning a trip?

Either way we like pics of dead hogs (and the rifle used) with the hunt details here on this forum!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome from Lake City, FL. The 30/30 is a fine hog gun, a shot behind the ear always works its magic! I was curious where you hunt pigs as well. Come to Florida, we got plenty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Shennandoah, thanks, what kind of tinkering/adjustments were you referring to? I decided to stay with the med rings because I did'nt want to remove rear sight. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from a preserve in the Crossville Tn area, 290lb sow and TASTY!!!!!!!!! Its called Loshbough hunting lodge

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
sybo, you may want to stick with the med rings in that case.....

Here's a couple ways you can post a pic....it's simple and easy to do.

The 1st way is using a photo host, I like to use Photobucket
1. Upload the photo to your computer and save them in My Documents / My Pictures

2. You need a photo host. http://photobucket.com/ Its free!

3. Once you have an account at a photo host and the picture loaded in your pc you click on choose file by the Upload Images & Video box in Photobucket

4. Find your picture and doubleclick it

5. Photobucket will promt you name the photo with a title and then save the file

6. Once you've saved the photo in your Photobucket album run your mouse over the the photo in your album that you want to post and you'll see under the picture are some codes. its the bottom code labelled "IMG", left click on it so it highlights (blue)
and then right click on it with your mouse and choose "copy" then go to the reply post here at MO's and right click again and choose "paste" and your IMG code which will show up as a your photo when viewed. I like this better than the next way, but that's just me and you may find it easier to just upload straight from your PC.

The next way is straight from your PC.

Click on reply just like you've been doing to reply to a post and to the bottom left of the reply box where you type you'll see "Additional Options"
click it and then you'll see Attach: and a Browse button to the right of the attach box. Click Browse and it normally is already at "My Pictures" if not click the arrow and find "My Documents" and then
"My Pictures" and then your picture you want to upload. Double click on that picture and you'll see it load in the "Attach" box below and then just click post

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
Welcome to MO from South Florida!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
sybo first off Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!Check out our Gunsmithing section on the home page and you will learn alot there!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts