Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and great forum! I just got a new 336W from Academy. This is my first lever gun (I have a few bolt actions) and I have to say I love the Marlin. It's wearing a Nikon Pro-Staff 3-9X and it's very accurate IMO.

The bullets that I got to break it in were the Winchester Power-Max (red box). I've used these in my .243 Savage to thin out hogs with great success. My issue with these bullets in the 30-30 is that once in a while they will not eject. I have to pry the spent case out or use a rod to back out the fired case. The cases are not stuck very hard as just a slight pressure is needed to get them out.

Is this a 336W thing or possible a bullet/brass issue? I have a box of Hornady Lever ammo that I plan to try next. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
My first inclination would be to check the extractor, make sure the area around the bolt, and the breach area are cleaned thoroughly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
One possibility could be working the action a bit slow. I'm new to lever action and also got the Marlin 336W. The only issue I had with the .30-30 cartridges chambering or extracting was when I worked the action slow to watch the movement. If I worked the lever quickly and smoothly, not a problem at all. Not saying that's necessarily your issue, just something I noticed.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
OP, welcome to MO first of all. Acomeplete breakdown and good cleaning might be helpfull before anything else. Sometimes oil/gunk gets left in places and needs to be removes before good results are obtained. ONe hint do one thing at a time so you know what was done to correct the problem. Take care, JOhn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts