Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably won’t be any great sin to put this under the 45-70 category. Could have gone under the non-standard calibers since a 1893 38-55 was the main focus.

Anyway, This is my first time out with the Lee 500gr 3R bullet (or 500gr of anything) and with this Pedersoli Rolling Block. Here is Chris showing his triceps:) and Bill having fun watching some newbees with a Rolling Block.
Chris and Bill.jpg

Chris had some work he wanted to do with his 1893 in 38-55 and enlisted Green Lizzard so I shamlessly tagged along.
Had a dandy of a time in the shade of blackjacks and stump oak at Chris’ range - out here in the iron-woods of Central Oklahoma.

We didn’t know anybody’s socks off but we didn’t kill any of the neighbor's cattle either. Here are four rounds planted by Green Lizzard who had to focus hard not to show me up.
45-70 Rolling Block Bills with 18.5gr of 4759.jpg

Thanks fellahs for letting me tag along for a first time outing with new (to me) bullet and rifle.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Premium Member
17,014 Posts
Hey John,

Seems to be a fine shooting rifle!

Glad GL, Chris and you had some good fun!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Sgt.
Thanks for sharing with us.
I kind of admire the Rolling Block & last week I got to shoot one in .50-70 & black powder. What a lot of fun.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Frank!! Took it out again after doing some work on the block and the firing pin. Block movement was free as a hundred year old RB after Green Lizzard did some majic but the firing pin evidently had some work done to it - probably broke then redressed to work but not reliably. Found some on the web (when they are back in stock) but Green Lizzard tells me he has one (plus a spare) made from a drill bit waiting on me when I stop over. Nice to have a buddy who knows the ropes. Just checked the mailbox and found Midway's delivery of a new 500gr 3R so guess I'm headed over to see what those firing pins look like and return GL's mold. We had fun even if we suffered some misfires from that short pin. We'll have even more fun next time we take it out. Gonna load up those 500gr with something mild and take those to Idaho with me in hopes the Sharps likes them.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No Sir I didn't... been doing maintenance on the scooter and loading those rounds. Just looked at Frontier's site and found they only allow 11pds of ammo in a checked bag. A carrier of 100 rds of the 500gr are 11.3pds. So I guess I didn't need to load all 250 cases. That will do though as I'm only forgoing the 100 hollow base bullets and I'm not gonna be short on ammo anyway. That will leave me 50-500grainers and 100-hollow base to play with and test the new pins on the next trip down. You did a nice job on the fabrication for someone without a machine shop!!

Old and new pin (made from a drill bit) side by side

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm laughing at both those posts of Frank's and Green Lizzard.

Frank, Sometimes people seem downright evil don't they.

Bet the reserve on this one is only a dollar under the buy-it-now price. Got a little better sight on it than mine came with. I paid $750 so they can be had for less. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=425891738 Like I said, people can be just plain bad for you:)

As for GL's "laptop lath", well that about describes it. Darn'dest thing!! I got to get everything just right on my bench then clamp it down, then hold my mouth just right. GL, he hardly gets out of his chair. Does everything in his lap.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm laughing at both those posts of Frank's and Green Lizzard.

Frank, Sometimes people seem downright evil don't they.

Bet the reserve on this one is only a dollar under the buy-it-now price. Got a little better sight on it than mine came with. I paid $750 so they can be had for less. Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block Long Range Rifle : Single Shot Rifles at GunBroker.com Like I said, people can be just plain bad for you:)

As for GL's "laptop lath", well that about describes it. Darn'dest thing!! I got to get everything just right on my bench then clamp it down, then hold my mouth just right. GL, he hardly gets out of his chair. Does everything in his lap.

That's really not a bad price for the sights on it. I think the tang sight is adjustable for windage & the old Sharps ctgs. are all avaible now from Shilo Sharps & probably C. Sharps both in Big Timber Montana.
The .40-65 is a pretty good ctg too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts