Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first scoped gun. Prettiest one I have too. Got it last month while in the throws of Marlinitis. First and only ADL too. Scope is a Weaver 4x. Plate set up at 150yds from the porch and I'm having a good time. We brought it back right a few clicks with some better groups but I failed to get a picture of that plate. Would have posted earlier but no computer when I'm in Idaho and can't post off my iPhone. Need to work on being steady with a scope but that just means more fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Your "plate" groups tell me that any deer you shoot at within 150yds is in deep trouble and gonna be fine table fare!! Nice going and a very
pretty ADL!!! I have four .32 specials, 2 model 94's and 2 Marlin 336SC's. Have had at least one .32 Special since 1973.
358 Win

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Doc and 358, I just set up my little range this year. I’ve never had so much fun shooting. I have a 50 yd, 100 yd and 150 yd backstop before I run out of room off the front porch. I could maybe squeeze a 200 yd in but the railroad might come pay me a visit. I started the cabin back in 2002. Poured the basement on a two-week vacation and later that same summer spent another two weeks drying-it-in after the logcrafters set the logs. Worked every vacation I had till 2005 when I moved and started working and living in it part of the year. Been a real blessing to have in front of me. I finished it last summer (but for some projects I dream up) and so I treat myself by burning powder off the front porch. If I ever sell the place I think the freedom of walking out your front door and sitting in the shade shooting off the porch might be the thing I miss most. I love to share pictures of the cabin and I’ll add one of my little “range”. Since it was taken I’ve mowed the shooting-lane and put up railroad-tie backstops. Of course it doesn’t hurt that temps there this summer remained in the 70s and 80s while my wife was reporting 100+ from Oklahoma City EVERY SINGLE day. Alas, now I’m walking out my front door into a blow dryer. Looking forward to October already.

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
Rather nice, .32 Special, Elevated Stand, Markers for the bait pile. Priceless. ;D

All nice.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Very nice looking place you have there sir. Take care and enjoy. ;D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sgt: What load were you shooting in your .32?
I just took my new-to-me 1950 336-A to the range Thursday and got 4-inch groups at 50 yards with Winchester silver-box 170 grain ammo; gun has a Lyman peep rear. Not happy.
I'll thoroughly clean the barrel, check muzzle for nicks and also try some handloads, now that I have empty brass. My rifle has a pretty heavy trigger that I'd estimate is close to 7 pounds, but that doesn't 'splain that kind of group.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oregon Bill, I was shooting LE ammo but before that I shot up a box of Remington Express Core-LOKT 170 GR that didn't produce as good a group. I had some problems with a 30-30 too with some other ammo then got much better groups with LE, but I also tightened up some screws and did some adjustments on a loose forearm, so not sure if the ammo was the issue on that one. Letting some solvent sit overnight in the barrel and then brushing and cleaning might be of some help. Also might drag the end of the barrel with a q-tip looking for burs if your crown has a problem. Watch it with a magnifying glass as you do it so see if any fibers pull on a bur. Trigger pull really fouls me up trying to get a good pull straight back. Good luck and let us know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sarge: I pulled the lever and gave her a good cleaning with Wipeout followed by Hoppes No. 9. I'll check forend screws and pressure too. I examined the muzzle with a loupe and did not see anything too suspicious, but might hit it with a bronze screw and valve grinding compound to be sure. Then I'll work up some handloads. On hand I have the fine Speer 170-grain FP, but will try the Hornady gummy tips when I can get my hands on a box. I'm just sure this rifle wants to play!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oregon Bill, I think you are doing everything right and Speer makes good bullets with a lot of people saying that many rifles have their own favorite weight. One word of caution... (note I've no direct experience) but I read that you should not crown a barrel unless you see hard evidence there is a need. I'd save that one for last after all else fails unless you find a bur. I was tempted myself but after trying the q-tip thing decided against it. In the end my group came around without it so I'm glad I didn't. While it does not seem like rocket science, no need to fix something that doesn't present itself. Just something to think about. Again, good luck. I'm thinking the trigger might be harder to fix but pay bigger dividends. If the Speer rounds don't pan out you might post a question to some of these guys with more background about what to do about that 7lbs. I'll be interested in your results. If you remember after your next range visit, PM me. Best Regards.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
SgtDog0311 said:
I'm thinking the trigger might be harder to fix but pay bigger dividends. If the Speer rounds don't pan out you might post a question to some of these guys with more background about what to do about that 7lbs.
The 7 lb trigger pull has to go. Look through the stickies and find the one on doing a trigger job on the Marlin. It is not hard at all to do and procuces very pleasing results.

Someone can direct you right to it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts