Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost. I did check the search and didn't find any thing. Does anyone know the serial of the first micro groove or has the forum tried to find out. I traded for a 39 last year that has the micro groove barrel and has a 53 year serial number. Was just curious since it seems from what I can find that the micro groove started on july 29 of that year.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Could have been re barreled. More likely is a receiver serial numbered in '53 was used in 1954 production. This is in keeping with information in Brophy's book, 'Marlin Firearms'. AC

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
S I traded for a 39 last year that has the micro groove barrel and has a 53 year serial number. Was just curious since it seems from what I can find that the micro groove started on july 29 of that year.
Well, you might have one of the first made. The patent went live in July as you indicated, and they were probably making them before that to have product available when it was approved. Hard to say though, as the first S/N is not necessarily the first one in a box.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Could have been re barreled. More likely is a receiver serial numbered in '53 was used in 1954 production. This is in keeping with information in Brophy's book, 'Marlin Firearms'. AC
While it is an excellent and comprehensive resource, Brophy doesn't provide exact dates that changes were implemented. Much of his information was gleaned from catalogs and advertising literature. If he says something appeared in a certain year, I take it to mean that it was implemented "by" the beginning of that year or it first appeared in their catalog or ad copy as such during that year. As many of these changes are phased in mid year or even beta tested, examples reported from the previous year are not automatically suspect.

This article bears this theory out. The ink wasn't even dry on the patent papers when they started production. OP has the correct date of first mass production.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/fryxell/microgrove-barrels.htm

"In 1953 Marlin applied for a patent on Microgroove rifling (US Patent #3,100,358 was granted on Aug. 13, 1953). In this patent, Microgroove rifling was described as having 5 grooves for every 1/10th of an inch bore diameter, and that the driving side of each land would be "tangentially disposed" (i.e. beveled, presumably to prevent the accumulation of fouling). On July 29, 1953, Marlin introduced Microgroove rifling in their .22 rimfire barrels, with 16 grooves that were .014" wide, and nominally .0015" deep. In their 1954 catalog, they outlined numerous advantages that this new form of rifling had, including better accuracy, ease of cleaning, elimination of gas leakage, higher velocities and lower chamber pressures. "

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, that last part was what I had read.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
There was 271 model 39a rifles and 58 Mounties made in 1954 that had the Ballard barrels on them. I guess Marlin did not waste any parts and used everything they had. I have one of the Ballard '54 rifles. Friend of mine has one of the Mounties made in '54 that is Ballard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I would have guessed. I've had some old Winchester stuff that was that way too. One year receiver used on the next years new add on.
Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts