Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Picked up this 1979 30-30 a few days ago. Ive never owned a lever before, I've read about the new models and have been looking for a quality used marlin. Ive only seen a few for sale in South Florida where I'm stationed. It was pretty dirty inside and has some scuffs. I want to do a complete break down but am still learning about these rifles as my experience is only with m4s.

·
Super Moderator
16,856 Posts
Welcome aboard from Alabama.... That is a beauty!!!! Check out the gunsmithing forum for help...

·
Premium Member
15,420 Posts
Welcome from Texas

Congrats on the new Marlin

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Nice find!

.......the 3 screws that are sticking out of the top of the receiver need to come out,they are the wrong ones,the correct screws(4) will fit flush with the top of the receiver,unless you are going to scope it then don't worry about it.

Looks like someone put the scope base screws back in the holes,if you turn them in to far they will rub on the top of the bolt.
I would take them out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When i was cleaning it I noticed those screws would rub the bolt. I plan on using iron sights so I will take them out. Any idea where I could find replacement screws?

·
Premium Member
16,802 Posts
Hey AR,

Welcome to MO.

Thank you for your Service!

That is a fine looking 30-30, and should give years of service. (you may want a set of Skinner Sights About Us )

The 336 is a very "simple" firearm. Both to "dis mount", and to maintain.

Later, Mark

Reactions: arodd

·
Premium Member
11,720 Posts
Nice find. One of the great things about these guns is they are easy to take apart and clean. You can read how on here or watch a short You Tube video. There are many people here that will help you if you run unto a problem or have a question. Welcome to MO from Micanopy Florida

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congratulations! She should serve you well; nice rifle. I have some from around the same time period and are my favorites, smooth walnut stocks, gold triggers, nice bluing, etc.... enjoy!

·
Registered
10,066 Posts
Welcome aboard, you are really going to enjoy that rifle!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Welcome to the forum from South Jersey...plenty of good people to answer any questions here

·
Registered
569 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your rifle! Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!! Very nice rifle congrats on picking it up!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
First post

This is my first post to this or any forum. I do like that 336 that guy posted today. Pretty nice shape for the year. My first Marlin was a model 30as. Bought it at an auction for $100 twenty years ago. Still shoots real good. Smooth action. Does the trick in the big bush where I hunt.

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Nice lookin rifle you got.:congrats:Thank you for your service!:beerglass:
That little Marlin will serve you well.
and Hello & Welcome from a small bluff in W Tn.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Welcome to MO's, both of you. The little surface rust spots can be cleaned up with some OOOO steel wool and gun oil by rubbing it lightly. Rinse the steel wool out to get rid of the rust coming off the metal so you don't scratch the finish. It will be the first of your Marlin family, I'm sure. Jonnyslavic, have you picked up any other Marlins since your 30as? DP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts