Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I've been lurking here a little while gathering intel.

I had never considered a lever gun, but one day I suddenly decided my Ruger GP100 needed a playmate. So I did a little research and decided that an 1894c in 357mag is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Then I found out that getting one was easier said than done... :(

After a week or two of scouring gunbroker and the websites of all my preferred vendors I decided to stop in at one of my local shops. Not only did they have one in stock but they had two! I had read a little about Marlins and Remlins but I wasn't sure how to know which I was buying. Based on the fact that fit and finish are very good on this rifle and the wood looks spectacular I decided that I don't care who made it and it had to come home with me. I've only had it out twice so far and shot 38 special both times but it's been perfectly problem-free. I really like peep sights and have XS products on a few of my guns so I went with their rail/sight system. I got some flack from a few friends for putting a rail on a lever gun but hey, I'm much more about "practical" than tactical. I plan to shoot irons most of the time but when I need to reach out a little further it's nice to help these tired eyes with a little scope mounted on QD rings :biggrin:
(I also have a smaller peep I intend to install in place of the life preserver that's on there now).

At first I thought I got a Marlin but it appears to be a Remlin. Left side of barrel is stamped North Haven, CT and a roll mark "RF". Right side of barrel has REP in an oval followed by S. Serial number starts with 9131. No matter either way, as long as she shoots straight.

By the way, I found it to be a sweet shooter at the range and very accurate as well. My range buddy, who previously had no interest in levers, can't stop talking about how nice it is. I can say for sure I'll need to add at least one more to the family...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Welcome to the site Photoshooter!

That's is a nice looking Remlin! Looks like they almost got the wood right on that one. And it looks a lot better than some I've seen! Let's hope that Remington gets their act together and starts making our beloved 1894s the way they used to. Oh and watch out... soon you'll be needing to have another, and another, and...

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Welcome to MO.
I think you are going to really enjoy your new rifle.I hope you have some $ saved up because you will need them to buy cartridges with because you are going to love shooting that 357mag.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Welcome to the sight and congrats on the new addition, it sounds like the lever bug has bitten, it does have some nice wood on it. If you dont reload yet, your gona need to start cause these littel guns have a big appitight.

·
Premium Member
8,597 Posts
Congrats to you on your new 94', glad to hear you got a good one! :tee: And Welcome to MarlinOwners from New York!

BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Welcome to the obsession. Maybe when you are ready for the next one you will look at a fine used JM rifle and see the differences.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Welcome to Marlin owners and welcome to the world of leavers....buckel up and hang on!
Great looking gun I like the rail alot!
Jonathan

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Congratualtions on your purchase. There is something undeniably cool about a lever gun, and the 1894c is about as sweet as they come.
GH1:)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Thats a nice first levergun for sure. The 1894C are hard to come by and the old JM's are bringing some pretty good money. They really will go thru ammo, just that much fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone. Yes, there is something very cool about a lever action. I wish I had known years ago...

Welcome to the sight and congrats on the new addition, it sounds like the lever bug has bitten, it does have some nice wood on it. If you dont reload yet, your gona need to start cause these littel guns have a big appitight.
Funny you should say that. Reloading is the next item on my very long to-do list.

Nice rifle, as long as it shoots that's what matters.
XS makes a threaded aperture post that will accept Williams and Skinner apertures for about $12, you might give them a call...
http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af120/Radar-1/005-9.jpg
Have fun with that thing!

That would be perfect!
XS includes 2 aperture posts with the kit but a threaded aperture would be ideal. I'll get in touch with them, thanks!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
With the REP and the 91xxxxx serial number, your gun was assembled in Ilion by Remington from parts that were originally manufactured in Marlin's North Haven CT plant.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Hello Photoshooter, welcome to the forum from North Patagonia - Chile.
Just today I found a 1894C down here. It is a 2000 make, thus Marlin with JM stamp and all; and can't be happier. I also have a 1894 44 Magnum, a 94 in 44-40 and a 39A Golden, all real Marlins.
However, I'm with you, for us newcomers to the lever gun world, Remlins have to be an option. Actually, I just ordered two brand new Marlins (Remlins) 308MX and 1895G in 450 Marlin. I'm really looking forward to receive them and hoping they are in good shape.
Congrats on you first lever gun. Enjoy it.

Cheers

K

Reactions: photoshooter

·
Registered
158 Posts
nice rifle!! so when did remington start making marlins?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Welcome to MO, that is some nice wood on that rifle.

Reactions: photoshooter

·
Premium Member
13,409 Posts
Welcome to MarlinOwners. Nice rifle. Congrats!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the same gun with a similar setup and am now looking for reloading gear to keep her fed. Too much fun to shoot!!! Enjoy it and keep it safe.

C

1 - 20 of 29 Posts