Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a Marlin 1894 chambered in 44 mag a couple of months ago. Its my one and only marlin lever gun and I absolutely love it. All of my rifles have scopes and are zero'ed in at 100 yards. I am going to keep iron sights on this gun as I will shoot it for fun as I can keep my small ammo stash supplied. I haven't been able to get to the "local" outddor range that is approximately 40 minutes away to shoot at 50 yards and then 100 yards for elevation adjustments but I can safely shoot at 25 yards at home. Using trajectory calculators, for easy figuring, if I have an appropriate 2" holdover at 25 yards I should be close to zero at 100 yards. The problem I'm having with the semi-buckhorn site is I have the elevation adjustment at the max height and its pretty much hitting the bullseye dead on at 25 yards and I have no more adjustment to get the 2" holdover. I can't imagine this will get better at the range shooting at further distance but I may be wrong.

Do I need to improvise and make a shim to gain more height out of the rear sight? Anyone else have a problem with not being able to get enough elevation out of the rear sight?

all thoughts and ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Jake.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If it doesn’t shoot right (as far as elevation goes) at 100, then I’d just buy a shorter front sight blade. Or, put a peep sight on it. I have Williams peep sights on all of the ones I shoot regularly. The ones I bought for the sake of collecting still have the factory rear sights.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Welcome to MO from SW Ohio. That 1894s is a good lever to start with. It's one of my favorites.

Have a look at this article about the semi/full buckhorn sight. There are several potential aiming points. It is important that you select the proper one for sighting in. Afterward the other aiming point can be used for "hold over".

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2015/11/buckhorn-sights-and-kentucky-windage/

You may not need to alter your front sight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it doesn’t shoot right (as far as elevation goes) at 100, then I’d just buy a shorter front sight blade. Or, put a peep sight on it. I have Williams peep sights on all of the ones I shoot regularly. The ones I bought for the sake of collecting still have the factory rear sights.
I will look into both front sight and the Williams brand rear peep sight if zero at 100 yards is off.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to MO from SW Ohio. That 1894s is a good lever to start with. It's one of my favorites.

Have a look at this article about the semi/full buckhorn sight. There are several potential aiming points. It is important that you select the proper one for sighting in. Afterward the other aiming point can be used for "hold over".

thank you. I will check out that article right away. I'd like to reduce my errors as much as possible before buying new accessories.

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hi HIK,

the link for the article does not work. I also tried searching for it on the pyramid site with no luck.

Any other thoughts?

thanks,
Jake

·
Premium Member
6,503 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania!!

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
448 Posts
Welcome from Mid Coast Maine. If you look at the trajectory of the 44 mag fired from a 20" barrel its relatively flat out to 50 yards or more. Wait until you can shoot at further distances before making decisions on the sights. I am however in favor of a good peep sight and more visible front sight.

·
Registered
24,711 Posts
Welcome from upstate NY . you may need a shorter front sight. do you reload? ( save those cases !) I have 2 loads. one for lead bullets for fun, and a far more powerful load for jacketed bullets, one move of the sight elevator! presto! enjoy.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts