Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who still has their first hunting knife?
If not, what happened to it.?
I remember my first deer hunt, but for the life of me, don't remember what I carried for a knife, must of been just my old pocket knife.
Next was after I came out of the service, I had my Navy pilot
Survival, knife. That I still have, and my wife bought me a hunting knife for Xmas, the first year we were married.
And that knife is still a favorite.

·
Super Moderator
5,419 Posts
My first knife was a Buck folder and I don’t know what happened to it. I really didn’t start hunting until about 12 years ago and I bought a combo pack of 2 knives and a saw made by Browning. It has served me well and is still in my pack. Still use the saw every year. I carry a Buck Vangaurd now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Can't forget the first one. Puma Hunter's Friend, bought in the 60's for less than $20. Carried it long enough to know what I had, but stuck the sheath in a hip pocket one day instead of on my belt where it belonged and hurried into one of my favorite hunting places.. Sat down in the woods, got up and moved. Said by-by to the best blade I have ever owned. Went back with a friend and spent time looking but it was gone. Carelessness is a great teacher.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Wow, that's going back for me. The best I can recall is a Western knife-hatchet combo I got for Christmas many, many moons ago. I still have the hatchet but I can't remember what become of the knife.
Thanks for bringing this up. Now it's gonna bug me trying to figure out what happened to a knife I'd not thought about for the past 30yr...:s:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Back in 1970, when I was 13, my Dad handed down his Western sheath knife to me. It had been his hunting companion since the early 1950's. The snap on the keeper strap was broken, but I carried it anyway and, of course, I soon lost the knife. Dad was a VERY intimidating man, and I admit I never got the nerve to fess up. For years after, I was constantly on the lookout for the lost knife, on my almost daily 'adventures' in the near-by woods.
Amazingly, in 2001, my son Josh was in the back yard, poking around a dirt pile left from the installation of a new septic system, when he found that knife! The red plastic handle was still intact, but after 31 years in the dirt, the blade was pitted beyond use. Never the less, I'll treasure it for the rest of my days, and Josh was rewarded with a new Buck #102 Woodsman of his own. I only wish Dad was still around to hear the story, but he passed in 1988.

·
Premium Member
13,306 Posts
I don't remember my first, but I remember the first that I was truly happy with. My hunting partner and best friend bought two Schrade drop point gut hook knives and gave me one of them.

A couple of seasons later his gut hook "bit him" so he gave me that one too. I added a Schrade Sharp Finger to those and I'm happy. Those are all made in the USA before they got bought out and production was moved to China. Small, easy to sharpen, and nimble knives that are great for skinning.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
My brother was overseas in the US Navy 1968 and Came home from Vietnam on leave. He gave me his slightly used and engraved Buck folder 110 as a gift. 32 years later (2000) he asked if I still had it. Which I did. He now has the knife back. I did not use that 110 for hunting deer as I was only 6 when it was gifted to me. But I did use it small game hunting from 10 till about 16. I was given the Uncle Henry in 1984.

View attachment 723374

·
Registered
21,237 Posts
First new knife I got was the Puma Deer Hunter in the mid 70's. Still have the knife but somehow misplaced the sheath for it :bawling:!

·
Registered
526 Posts
First new knife I got was the Puma Deer Hunter in the mid 70's. Still have the knife but somehow misplaced the sheath for it :bawling:!
I'll bet our resident master craftsman in leather goods (Levergun Leather Works) could make a dandy one for your Puma.

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
The first hunting knife I ever had was a Parker survival knife...
one of them that the end of the handle had a threaded cap you
could take off, and the handle was hollowed out so you could
put matches in there or whatever.
I gave it to my son years ago.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I always had a pocket knife as a kid but my first hunting knife was a Cutco hunting knife.
My father gave it to me about 50 years ago.
I have always carried that and a Case Sodbuster Jr. when hunting.
I am now on my third Case but still have the Cutco and still hunt with it today.
I have used it on every deer and elk I have ever killed and plenty of other peoples deer and elk.
It started out with a serrated edge and now has a regular knife edge on it from being sharpened so many times over the years and the sheath is held together with duct tape and I have to wrap string around it to keep it in.
I will use it until I can no longer hunt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.