Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting the last few years with my 1895 cowboy .45/70, but this year, (next weekend), I'll be carrying my "W*nchester trails end" .357 .

I know, it's not a Marlin, but the dealer made me a deal that I couldn't refuse. :)

I have taken deer here in Florida, with a 6" barreled .357 S&W several times, and I mean just bowled them over with it !

Somehow, I feel undergunned with this little rifle. I know that makes no sense, It is more accurate, has higher muzzle velocity, etc...

I feel wrong for not using a BIG BORE BAZOOKA, or an ULTRA-SUPER-SHORT-FAT-MAGNUM.

I think I'm suffering from "READS TOO MANY GUN MAGAZINES" syndrome.

Has anyone else suffered this malady ?

=Chip=

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
it's ok to say winchester here :D .good luck with your hunt!!.I just bought a win 94 357 legacy 24 " and its a shooter.
pete

·
Registered
201 Posts
I bought a used Browning B92 in .357 awhile back and it's a blast to shoot. It took me an hour at the range to figure out that it won't chamber .38's, though. Every one of them stovepipes!

·
Registered
355 Posts
Load that rifle up with some 158g SPs, and you'll be impressed with the killing power it'll give you. I've killed a lot of deer with both my 357 Blackhawk, and two 1894C rifles. The 357 is a great deer caliber as long as you use it with some common sense.

The only thing I'd warn you about is to stay away from HPs in a 357 rifle if you're after deer. At the higher velocities, even the toughest HPs tend to expand way to quick on impact, which leads to the majority of the horror stories you hear about deer, and the 357 magnum.

G

·
Hi Chip,

The 1894 in 357 mag. will take any deer in Florida with no problem as long as you use the right ammo - 158 gr JSP (Remington, Winchester, Federal) is the best all around in my opinion. I agree with Jerry regarding hollowpoint ammo. It might be OK in revolvers, but the higher velocity of a rifle makes the bullets expand too fast and can even grenade at times if the shot is close and it hits bone, may not penetrate adequately. I use 158 gr. JSP ammo in both my 1894 and 6" Ruger Security Six.

I will be deer hunting beginning this Thursday afternoon through Saturday morning on private land in the Inverness/Floral City area using my Marlin 1894/357 mag. Antlerless deer week opens this Saturday morning for the Central zone. Good luck and be confident that the 1894 will do the job.

Regards, Adrian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be heading out early Friday morning.

I have a place between Ocala and Gainsville.

I worked up some remmington 158 grain soft points,( bulk from Midway), over a healthy charge of Lil' gun, this rifle has taken to them real well.

It's surprising how quiet they are, for a fairly hot load.

I have a bunch of deer this year, but they are kind of small. The poachers got my big bucks early this summer. ( Bastards! )

I'm getting a late start this year, but You got to finish your work before you can go out and play!

Good luck all, and happy hunting !

=Chip=

G

·
Antlerless deer week started this Saturday. This morning's results with 5 of us hunting:

- 1 doe, about 80lb.
- 1 coyote

Both the doe and the coyote were taken by my buddy Fred using a Savage in .338 Win. Mag., handloaded with 210 grain bullets.

My personal results for the season:

- 1 doe, 110 lb. (wounded by a poacher)
- 1 five point buck, 120 lb.

Will go again next week for a couple of days. Antlerless deer week ends next Saturday in Central Florida. I plan to stick with the Marlin 1894 in 357 mag.

Regards, Adrian

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree that jacked flat point are preferred in .357 rifles, I think there's and exception.. the Winchester 180 gr. Partitiongold which is a hollow point but also a partition bullet. Anyway I'm using this load now for deer season in Northern Wisconsin in my 1894C. I'll give a field report at the end of the season.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
the 357 and 44 spl./ mag are under rated just as the 30-30 is .. They are great rounds for whitetails and similer size animals.. I haven't fallen for the gun rags boast that my paultry 30-30 is not enough gun,, I have venison in the freezer to prove it works for me.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Gunjunkie, the gun right or ....44spl.???
cw

G

·
I have an 1894CP (16.25" 357) that I worked up a decent load using the 180 grain Nosler Partition. I think next year I will see if I can get a deer with it :wink: Might keep my shots inside 50 yards thou :!:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
seaweaver said:
Gunjunkie, the gun right or ....44spl.???
cw
Typing too fast does that sometimes.. :lol:

G

·
Gunjunkie said:
the 357 and 44 spl./ mag are under rated just as the 30-30 is .. They are great rounds for whitetails and similer size animals.. I haven't fallen for the gun rags boast that my paultry 30-30 is not enough gun,, I have venison in the freezer to prove it works for me.. :lol:

I've killed a bunch of deer with variouse 44 mags I've owned. First buck I ever got was killed with a Ruger 44 carbine. Killed one two seasons ago with an 1894P at 135 yards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts