Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for my first hunt with the 336SS. I need a little advice. As I said earlier, I'm sighted in at 100 yards, but I'm not sure how much to correct for longer and shorter shots. I guess what I need to know is where is the high point (apogee?) of the trajectory and at what rate does it rise and fall on either side of that point. I'm shooting Rem CL 170's. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Go to http://www.remington.com/ammo/ballistics/ballistics.htm and download the Remington Shoot Ballistics Calculator. It will show you the trajectory (under the Calculate Menu) for every centerfire bullet Reminton sells and you can change the zero range and see how trajectory changes. It also has an Optimizer under the Calculate menu where it shows the ideal zero distance to maximize your point blank range for different game. If you have a chrono you can enter the actual velocities from your gun and it will update the calculations. It's a fun program to play around with and it's free.

For the 30/30 170 grain SPCL on Boar it recommends:
"Set sights to shoot 2.28 inches high at 100 yards for a 160 Yards Zero. Point blank range is at 188 yards."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, wuchak! Definitely a nifty little program. "Set sights to shoot 0.28 Inches high at 50 Yards for a 100 Yards Zero." I can't even see 0.28 inches at 50 yards, much less shoot it! So basically this thing is flat for the first 100 yards. That's what I needed to know.

Think I'll go get some more computerized range practice. I could waste a LOT of time with this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts