Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, let's add this up:

Marlin 336SS - $441
Ammo, cleaning kit, etc. - $50
Camo hunting jacket - $63
Trail boots - $75
Listening to a big hog grunting in the pre-dawn darkness and never actually seeing it - priceless (?)

All sarcasm aside, it was enough to get the adrenaline flowing. I was in a tree stand about 20 feet off the ground and overlooking a small clearing. About 30 yards to my left was a gurgling river. Long before sunrise, I heard something thrashing around in the woods along the river bank. It came closer and closer..... and then the grunting. I waited 'til noon for that creature to return, but of course it didn't.

I shall return!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
You know just a little luck and it would have been yours. Sounds like you had fun. Good luck.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Know how you feel. I've bumped hogs many times in the morning darkness, and also heard them come out in the evening after dark. I hunt a WMA where they're pounded hard and wise up quick. They generally lay up in thickets during the day unless someone runs them out. Trouble is, there are hundreds of dense thickets and driving is not a legal technique. It ain't easy but I enjoy hunting and nail one every now & then. You will, too. Good luck and keep trying.

·
Registered
555 Posts
fishmurderer
I know how you feel,it sounds like me and Lossking are hunting the same place.I have had them so close I could smell them.But its so thick I just couldn't see them.The WMA where I hunt Is full of thickets and swamps and the hogs stay out of sights during day light hours.And when your so close that you can hear and smell them its a rush.But its disappointing when it seems they are just out of sight and move off away from you.But its sure is fun.. :wink: When they come your way.. 8)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: That hog hunting sounds like a bunch of fun. And good eating to I believe. Good luck in that tree stand. I'm unfamiliar with the term WMA. Would anyone care to explain. Thanks, BestLever

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WMA = Wildlife Management Area, usually operated by the state's DNR (Department of Natural Resources), Game and Fish Commission, etc. I've only eaten wild hog once and it was delicious - pretty much like domestic pork but with more flavor and less fat. I'm sure it varies with the region and especially the size of the hog.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well, I nailed one Saturday. Not a big one, maybe 75 lbs., but the loin was very tasty for dinner yesterday. I had to get up in the thicket with them and managed to take one of a group of five. A shot to the head with my .35 Rem did the trick. Keep trying, guys. If you're in the woods, you've got a chance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts