Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I loaded ten rounds of 45 Colt, ran to the range this morning and shot em to see how they performed. No range pictures, wasn't there long enough!

Came home and loaded up fifty rounds. I'll play some more with them next week. Used some hard cast 250gr over 7.1 grains of HP-38. These rounds are for my Judge (no 45 Colt lever yet). Loaded my first box of 44 Mag this week also. The 44 mag are for my lever...... Been reloading for the 444 & 45/70 so these shorter rounds are really different. No lube is nice!

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Hey Gunner--

They look great--how'd they shoot ? When you get those .45 Colts figured out I'll do you a really big favor. Send me a couple hundred and I'll test them in my 1894CB and my 4 S&W's and I'll give ya the straight poop on what ya' need to adjust--won't charge ya' a thing--just trying to help out. ::) ;D ::) ;D

Steve--

PS - 450 & 45-70 are supposed to be here tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, that sounds like too much work and I really hate shipping loaded rounds. Hows about ya send the rifle for field trials and I'll speed up the testing?

Can't wait to see the pics of your new toys...

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Looks good Scott. I never used HP-38 for anything so let us know what your end results are. Sounds like you need another Marlin in your corral (maybe unported :eek:.)

bjm

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Steve, that sounds like too much work and I really hate shipping loaded rounds. Hows about ya send the rifle for field trials and I'll speed up the testing?

Can't wait to see the pics of your new toys...

Scott
No problem ol' buddy--you sit right there and wait for UPS to show up--please call me when you get it---------------------------------

OK ?

Steve

·
Registered
154 Posts
I’m really fond of HP-38 in 45 Colt loads.

I’ve settled on 7.5 grains with Starline brass, WLP pimers, and 250g Oregon Trail RNFP bullets.

Every batch has had single digit SDs, and in my Blackhawk shoots to the same POA as my Power Pistol/XTP load.

My first group with these in my 1894 was a cloverleaf at 25 yards.

The only thing that might ever change is that I’ve got a batch of the Dardas bullets to evaluate.

--scott

·
Registered
661 Posts
Good work!

I have used 7 & 7.5g W231/HP38 to great success.

Try some Unique with those bullets and you might like it too.

8 ~ 9 grains under that bullet will give you 8 ~ 900fps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been putting a 250gr LRNFP over 11.6gr of Blue Dot. Don't have a chrono, but I've been keeping them in a 4" group @ 40 yds out of my S&W 25-5. They feel a little more snappy than most factory (weak) loads for the .45 Colt without getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Congrats! Soon you will be ready to get a Dillon and a real pistol :) Trailboss or Clays are good powders for doing 45 LC and quantity.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
We've never heard back--how'd they shoot ? ( Straight I hope ;D)

Steve

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigjeepman said:
Looks good Scott. I never used HP-38 for anything so let us know what your end results are. Sounds like you need another Marlin in your corral (maybe unported :eek:.)

bjm
Doug, they shot true and I had no problem at 25 yards with keeping em on the target. No chrony so don't know speed but liked em. HP-38 smokes a bit but not too bad.

I did spy a Marlin Limited 45 Colt that would be a great candidate to buy and port but it was out of my price range this year. I'm already working a deal with one of our well known members that loves 336SC's. Don't have a thuty-thuty Guide Gun and now I see a possibility thanks to him.

Steve, shot straight and with authority! I've loaded a bunch of 265gr 444 this week that I can't wait to get out and try in the 444P this weekend!

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Doug, they shot true and I had no problem at 25 yards with keeping em on the target. No chrony so don't know speed but liked em. HP-38 smokes a bit but not too bad.
I did spy a Marlin Limited 45 Colt that would be a great candidate to buy and port but it was out of my price range this year. I'm already working a deal with one of our well known members that loves 336SC's. Don't have a thuty-thuty Guide Gun and now I see a possibility thanks to him.

Steve, shot straight and with authority! I've loaded a bunch of 265gr 444 this week that I can't wait to get out and try in the 444P this weekend!

1895gunner
That sounds real good Scott. I love that round and it can be quite the Thumper when you need it. I have a .45 Colt Limited and they are really nice shooting rifles ... you wouldn't be sorry if you can swing it.

bjm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts