Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
took a while to find it... i think i jumped the gun on tracking. i should have waiting longer. i think i kept bumping it.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
As an old traditional archer, any deer with a bow is a trophy. You did good, recurve, longbow, compound or crossbow or whatever. Before I die I would like to take one deer with an Atlatl.
To be honest, I hunt with stuff that will kill deer sized game at very long ranges, as well as moose and elk, but to be within feet or a few yards of the target without alarm is my definition of hunting. Last week I went with a friend to hunt, I carried no firearm, only spotting for him. At 4:18 PM the 8 deer came out 200 yards from us in a large field, by 5PM they were within 20- yards of us. At the same time 100 yards behind us another group of 6 came out. No shots were fired, no meat in the freezer, but one heck of a hunt. We watched young bucks and does and yearlings, but his trophy didn't show. You don't have to have a kill to have a great hunt.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i got into archery years ago but never harvested an animal. shoulder surgery, other hobbies, and laziness got me out of it. i've been meaning to get back into archery the last few years but laziness got the better of me. boredom from covid prompted me to get my bow back out. i'm glad it did. i spent more time in the woods this year than i have in any 5 years combined with a rifle. that also led to more deer observation in one season than any 5 combined for rifle. i fell back in love with archery and plan to continue. i guess i owe that in part to covid... with ALL of the bad that has come from this virus, there are definitely some hidden silver linings!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Waiting to track is advised, but simply not always an option. Took my first archery buck this year, and he didn't clear the feed plot before it started raining. Hesitated long enough to text the neighbor and tell him I'd shot one, and it was raining, had the crossbow cocked, reloaded, and was going out the door when he suggested such in reply. Double lunged mine, he didn't go far, barely cleared the feed plot, and laid down in the trail, so I backed off and let him bleed out.

Congrats on buck, at least Covid was good for something!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts