Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Youngest son hunted with me for three days and was a bit tired when I woke him this moring for the last day of the season. He's 13 now, and last spring for his birthday I gave him a rifle that my Dad gave me for a high school graduation present 30 years ago. He's been practicing with it all summer. The rifle is a little 6mm Remington 700 with a 30 year old 3-9x Leupold. We put it in a new Remington "youth" model stock, and set it up with a Harris bipod. Ammo is handloaded 95 grain Nosler ballistic tips at about 2800 fps, sighted-in at 100 yards.

He drew an "any deer" tag this year, his first year of hunting. We spotted a small herd of mulies about a half mile away and stalked them until one spotted us. We sank to the ground, and I used the laser rangefinder to determine that they were 274 yards away. A bit far I thought, and we tried to wiggle forward a bit. Ran completely out of cover a few feet closer. John set up his rifle on the bipod, moved the scope to 6x, picked out his doe, and put the crosshairs high on her back. He squeezed off the shot and she immediately dropped, sliding nose-forward downhill while the other deer all ran off uphill, away from us. The bullet hit the heart and destroyed a lung, then broke her offside leg upon exiting. Serious damage and quick results from such a small bullet.

A few minutes later he found her, stone dead, in a small ravine. I hauled her out of the ravine, and after a few photos John pitched in to help me clean and skin her.

I was real proud of how hard he worked during the few days of this hunt, and of his shooting as well. That's farther than any big game animal I've ever shot! Regards, Guy

·
Registered
729 Posts
Tell your son congratulations on a job well done. You and him both can be proud.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Great Job!!

Man, that must be an awesome feeling seeing your boy get his first deer!

Looks like a geat kid! You done good!

Way to go John!!! :D

·
Registered
264 Posts
Rock and friggin Roll ^5

Memories and times to always remember.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts