Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, my first deer with an iron sighted marlin.I shot her Sat. night around
fiveish. This gun was a christmas present last year from my wife.
I have been hunting with the same 30/06 for a few years and have alot of confidence with it, but this year has been a little slow as far as hunting
her in Texas goes so I decided to change my luck.

Every deer I have shot with a rifle(I bow hunt also) has been shot with a
scope on it. So this was a big change for me. First a nice 8 pt came out
around eighty yards, I drew a beed on him an was about to pull the trigger when
and he turned and got behind a fence so I had a chance to get a good look at him with the bino's. He was not what I was waiting for, we all
hunt for a little bit bigger deer than what he was. He was a good buck,but
I can't help but wait for a better one. So two minutes later two yearlings
and a nice doe came out. I waited for a good broadside shot and shot her.
She kicked and ran off. My trusty hunting pardner was sittting in the stand
with me, my six year old son. This is his third season going with me. (when the weather is fair) So he has seen me shoot alot of deer and other game.

We wait a little while and get down to look for blood. I then go and do not see any blood or anything. I go an circle around where I saw he run and nothing I mean I see nothing. We then keep looking, I am now thinking
I don't believe it I missed. Just then My son say's what is this, and points out some small dots of blood. Not much at all, then a little more. But hardly any. So I am concernd thinking I made a poor shot . Keep in mind
this is my first deer with iron sights. We then circle around and find her
dead. I am relieved. As I approch the deer I see I have made a perfect
double lung shot. I could not have shot her any better with a scope.

What makes this a special hunt is that I started to believe that I had missed, it was my son' s keen eye that allowed us to keep looking and find
that deer. You should have seen his face when I explained how it was because he found that blood that we kept on searching and allowed us to recover that deer. I don't know who was more proud of him, Me or him.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Awesome.. my first one with Marlin was open sites.. also. . Had to scope it this year.. but still works fine.

G

·
TX,
It's great to hear you and your son had such a great hunting experience together,I wish you many more.I also used the 30-30 this year for the first time for deer hunting ,I wished I started using it a long time ago,I just can't believe how effective it is.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
TX,

Congratulations for teaching your son to HUNT before he is old enought to do the SHOOTING. So often youngsters get all caught up in shooting and bagging game that they fail to embrace the importance of hunting, scouting, tracking, etc. Sounds like your little buddy is on his way to becoming a "hunter."

·
Registered
555 Posts
TX,Congrats on a great day in the great outdoors with your son.You are making memories that he will never forget.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Nice story TEX, congrats on your deer. You got love those young eyes :lol:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: Great story! TXSURVEYOR, your son is a natural :wink: Another great American. It's wonderful that you are taking advantage of the "dad" experience :) Your story made my day. Life is good, BestLever

·
Registered
200 Posts
Great story. My dad has a Marlin 336 that I thought was magical when I was a kid. It seemed like all you had to do with that gun was put the gold bead on your target and pull the trigger. It never missed. My dad took many deer over the years with it, one of my favorites was when my youngest brother and I were waiting along a mountain road in Ouchita Mountains in Oklahoma as the sun had started to set. We were going to give him a ride back to camp when we heard that 30-30 bark over the hill. We looked at each other and grinned and walked up the hill and there stood my dad looking at a nice 11 point buck, the entry wound just right of center between the buck's eyes. Dad had shot the buck less than 15 yards away. We helped him carry that deer to the truck and my little brother asked if he could hunt in the stand the next morning. (My little brother was actually my half-brother and no relation to my dad at all, but Dad never had a problem with me bringing him along with us on our hunting trips) My dad looked at the 30-30 Marlin he had bought in my little brother's hands and told him to have at it. My little brother was 13 and he killed the biggest 8 pointer he has ever killed that next morning. A neck shot at 25 yards. Hunting is not always about the kill. It is about the memories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts