Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new 1895 GBL to the range today with some hand loads.
Starting with IMR 4198 I loaded:
34 - 38.5 gr. in 1/2 gr. increments. with new Starline brass , Fed 210 primers and Oregon Trail Laser cast 405 gr. bullets.
35 gr. did the best out of the 4198 loads , about 1 1/4 " at 50 yd.
I also loaded some with Reloader 7 , same components but the powder charges were from 39-41.5 in 1/2 gr. increments.
39.0 did the best out of that group at 1 1/2" at 50 yd.
Everything else was horrible.
I think I might try loading down a little bit and see what happens.
A little background:
I have been shooting seriously for 20 years , everything from .223 to .338 Lapua Mag.
This is my first lever gun.
I have not shot with iron sights in a long time.
I am having a hard time getting adjusted to the 10 lb. trigger on the Marlin.
But besides a sore shoulder I had a blast.
I'm looking forward to going tomorrow after work.
I also appreciate all the info. I have been able to find here.
Thank You.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Put a spring kit and wild west trigger in that thing to tame the trigger pull.
I don't own a 1895 yet but I do own an 1894 .44 mag and the harder I push jacketed bullets, the worse the grouping, the harder I push cast bullets, the tighter the grouping. I don't know what size bullet your shooting but you might want to got up .001 and see how that works, or better yet, slug your bore.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I took my new 1895 GBL to the range today with some hand loads.
Starting with IMR 4198 I loaded:
34 - 38.5 gr. in 1/2 gr. increments. with new Starline brass , Fed 210 primers and Oregon Trail Laser cast 405 gr. bullets.
35 gr. did the best out of the 4198 loads , about 1 1/4 " at 50 yd.
I also loaded some with Reloader 7 , same components but the powder charges were from 39-41.5 in 1/2 gr. increments.
39.0 did the best out of that group at 1 1/2" at 50 yd.
Everything else was horrible.
I think I might try loading down a little bit and see what happens.
A little background:
I have been shooting seriously for 20 years , everything from .223 to .338 Lapua Mag.
This is my first lever gun.
I have not shot with iron sights in a long time.
I am having a hard time getting adjusted to the 10 lb. trigger on the Marlin.
But besides a sore shoulder I had a blast.
I'm looking forward to going tomorrow after work.
I also appreciate all the info. I have been able to find here.
Thank You.
I found 39-40 grains of RX7 to be the best with that exact bullet in my 1895G. At 40gr, the recoil gets pretty hefty and you can really feel every grain above that.

But I'm not looking for MOA groups...just plinking.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Bob
Welcome to the forum.
You can get a Past recoil pad that slips on similar to some of the bra type binocular straps & it really helps with recoil.
I'm using a bit less H4198 than you are using IMR4198 under a Rem. 405gr JSP for just over 1400fps & it's pretty pleasant. Be sure your sight picture is the same each shot. If you haven't used iron sights in awhile they can take some getting used to. You may want to invest is a set of "peep" sights they are pretty accurate & your eye will automatically center the front bead in the rear peep.
Good shooting, keep at it & you will see improvement.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My GBL shoots well with 40.0 gr RL-7 under a 405gr Oregon Trail. About 1500 fps.

I did need to fire-lap my barrel to get things in order though. Before fire-lapping it would shoot three tight, two loose, then they would hit sideways. Severe leading near the throat was the culprit. After firelapping, it will practically cloverleaf them at 100 with a scope. I've gone to XS ghost ring sights, and it (I) still shoot very well with minimal leading.

Here's a look at a target from before the fire-lapping. Three tight, two loose, then sideways.

GBL with the XS sights,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replys.
I went the following day with loads from 33.5 down to 30.0 of IMR 4198.
33.5 shot very well at 50 yds.
I also loaded up some 12.5 Trailboss loads with the same bullets , they also did very well.
I bought a cheap scope just for the load development and I,m sure that had a great deal to do with the improved groupings.
However now that I have a load I will just practice with the XS sights that I have for it.
As far as the recoil I think firing 65 rounds in an hour and a half played a big part in the sore shoulder.
Once again thanks for all the reply's.
Bob

·
Registered
184 Posts
I agree with fixin the trigger, makes a huge dif in grouping. Im just saying. I am surprised about the trigger pull, I have a 78 1895 and it has a great trigger.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 22 inch 45/70 Marlin was happy with 30gr of IMR 4198 and 405 Oregon Laser Cast bullets.
I did not go past 32 gr..... 38gr happy shoulder not for me.
I do like the look of that GBL......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am going to stay with 33.0 gr. of IMR 4198.
I also ordered some tubbs final finish for the barrel.
Thanks
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts