Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY got out this morning. Cool. Temps in the 50's. Overcast, turned to a gentle rain. Hiked like a monster this morning! All that cycling this year is paying off. Hunted where I'd seen a bear a few weeks ago, before season. No luck. Obvious bear sign. He's still there. Somewhere. Found three mulies. Got to within 50 yards of two before they knew I was around. Enjoyed that. Found four grouse. Not grouse season yet and the .375 didn't seem like the right medicine for grouse anyway.

Traveling light today. Bear rifle, a dozen rounds of ammo on my belt carrier. Hunting knife, pack with water, snacks, hunting license, bear tag, and lots of empty room for bear parts! Love those Ponderosa Pines!

Good country. Same area where I drew my late season mulie tag for later this year:

Who left this in the road?

Somebody didn't make the turn...

Okay, at least I got out for bear! Maybe next time...

Guy

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Looks like you had a fine day to me. Fifty degrees ? Wow, my feeble fried humidity rotted brain can't imagine that. Good like, hope you add to the rug collection.

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, huge change in temps recently. Wasn't long ago it was 100+, and it's supposed to be back in the 90's later this week. But I'll take the cool temps and rain while they're here!

Guy

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Nice country and rifle. Thanks for the post and pictures.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Cool looking place in more than the temps. Love that Pine tree that one has seen some times. Watch for falling rocks though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Ah, fellow jeeper :beerglass:

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Good luck with the hunt! I like your choice of firearm and caliber.

Twilight hours - morning and evening - are the most productive times. I prefer to down game in the morning then I have daylight to dress it out. Downing game in the evening and then having to dress it out in the dark can be a little bit creepy >:D :biggrin: -

Northern Bog Monster

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well Guy,
I am glad you got a good day to get out on. 50 is good temp for hiking in the mountains we have around here. I will be following your and other hunting post closely this year, living vicariously through everyones stories. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Looks like a nice place to spend the day even if you don't fire a shot. Funny place to park a car in the last pic.

·
Administrator
28,299 Posts
Hey Guy, thanks for sharing. Anytime you get out in beautiful country like that is a great day. Tagging your bear is bonus, no doubt. Love your posts and I agree, love those Ponderosa Pines! Makes me miss home in Or.

Jack

·
Registered
10,159 Posts
Awesome pictures, and thanks for sharing your story.

·
Premium Member
6,861 Posts
Great pics. Wish I was there. I love bear hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just curious, is you rifle chambered in 375 H&H ? or 375 Win.? or ....

Thanks for the report. I could fell the cool air and smell the conifers. The thermometer is still hovering around 100 degrees here. :-(

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Guy,

Great pictures and post as always.

Thank you.

Best wishes on your hunt.

Cate

FINALLY got out this morning. Cool. Temps in the 50's. Overcast, turned to a gentle rain. Hiked like a monster this morning! All that cycling this year is paying off. Hunted where I'd seen a bear a few weeks ago, before season. No luck. Obvious bear sign. He's still there. Somewhere. Found three mulies. Got to within 50 yards of two before they knew I was around. Enjoyed that. Found four grouse. Not grouse season yet and the .375 didn't seem like the right medicine for grouse anyway.

Traveling light today. Bear rifle, a dozen rounds of ammo on my belt carrier. Hunting knife, pack with water, snacks, hunting license, bear tag, and lots of empty room for bear parts! Love those Ponderosa Pines!

Good country. Same area where I drew my late season mulie tag for later this year:

Who left this in the road?

Somebody didn't make the turn...

Okay, at least I got out for bear! Maybe next time...

Guy

·
Super Moderator
6,346 Posts
M700 - I don't miss the rain of the NW, but can't say I've ever gotten used to the winds of Wyoming. Great pics!!

MontanaMarlin336 - Me, Ms Annie, and the Rolling Gunroom were in St Regis in July. Guess we just missed ya! Sure is pretty through there. Third trip since Christmas.

Jeff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great pics. Wish I was there. I love bear hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just curious, is you rifle chambered in 375 H&H ? or 375 Win.? or ....

Thanks for the report. I could fell the cool air and smell the conifers. The thermometer is still hovering around 100 degrees here. :-(
Yes, it's a .375 H&H. I found it, looking all forlorn, in the rack at a local gunshop and picked it up at a pretty good price. Have fallen hard for the rifle and the cartridge. Three bears with it now, a couple of them at just over 300 yards. This particular rifle has some interesting history, I was able to track down a prior owner who took it to Africa some years ago.

I have shot some factory ammo through it, but thoroughly enjoy handloading for the ol' single shot.

Regards, Guy

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
What a wonderful day Guy! The story and pictures sure stimulate daydreams as I sit here in hot, humid IL thinking about working a project that I agreed to do AFTER retirement. What I wouldn't give for a day in the mountains and cool temps.

Reactions: Catherine and M700
1 - 20 of 30 Posts