Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FIRST "CLOVER LEAF" GROUP....BDT LOOK-OUT!!!

Dont want to brag JUST CANT HELP IT,when the photos come in I will try and post, but I shot an honest perfect 3 leaf clover group (all three shots touch at 100yds) this weekend. I know its centerfire but the 250-3000 Savage is finally ready to go (some might remember my woes and worries from the Marlin Talk board). I'm sure its a fluke but man what a thrill! CL :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts

What are the details, reloads or factory, temp, wind, I have heard good things about the round but I have never had an oportunity to shoot one. Congadulations.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I HOPE MY SAVGE SHOOTS THAT GOOD

Just happens I'm having a Savage 99 built this year in 243, I couldnt find a 250-3000. That just raised my confidence level greatly. I had a 99 in 284 Win. and liked it, made a cool offhand shot on a 6 point at 200 yards.
Good Luck with your 99, Ill tell you how mine turn out as soon as Matt Wilson quits beating it with the claw hammer. :shock:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

First of all- John I couldnt find a 99 in 250-3000 that I could aford either. This is a FN Mausaer 300 (long) action mated to a custom crowned medium weight barrell of unknown parentage. Also a "custom" looks like home built stock. Finish is bead blasted "in the white". Looks like stainless rusts like a leaf spring...a bluing job is planned but w/ the way she shoots I'm afraid to do that. The long action means that it dosent feed real well. All in all still a nice gun. I looked for a long time for a 99 in 250 I could afford. If money is no option...Cabellas in Owatana Mn. has a pre-'64 mod. 70 w/ a lyman style reciever site and a k-4 weaver in 250-3000...looked fantastic... for $2000.00 Good luck w/ the 99. I passed on a Ruger MKII RSI with a k4 weaver, also in 250, 8 yrs ago for 200.00. :x :x Thought the kid needed diapers more than a rifle.

I know a fella who has a 99 in 250-3000- claims it will shoot clover leafs all day w/ 75 gr'rs. Dont know what he loads.

My new pet load is a 100 gr Nosler balistic tip over 38 grains of IMR 4350 Winchester case.

Conditions were perfect- shooting straight into a 5 mph breeze about 78 degrees. I came close to a matching group about a month ago, same load, Remmington case.

Thanks for the interest- I always wanted a "Mouser" like Dads and a MOA rifle. I got both in the same Gun!! VERY,VERY lucky CL [/img]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
like the 250???

Sure shot- any body who likes the 250 really likes it. I read an article in Rifle Magazine a while back where an "expert" actually gave the 250 the "nod" over the 243 as a deer gun. He reasoned that bescause the .25 cla bullet had bigger sectional density and therefore better stopping power. I dont know if I go along w/ that as being enough of an advantage. If you look at the numbers in the remmington catalogue the 243 wins the game hands down. More velocity shoots flatter further. But in all honesty I wonder about those numbers for the factory 250 loads. Do they reflect modern powders/loadings the way the 243 does or are they still using numbers from the early 1900's? Interestingly enough the 250 Ackley improved outperforms the 243 on paper anyway. No-body likes to make bullets for the .25 that is a big drawback, choices in bullet weight are pretty limited. That same issue of Rifle Magazine noted (and I tend to agree) that Winchester really dropped the ball when they decided to chamber a 25 cal in supershort mag. instead of the short Magnum. The WSSM gives them 25-06 performance plus just a little in a short acton- big deal. If they had made a standard Short Magnum they could have matched or beaten the 257 weatherby Magnum and blown the 25-06 (which I like too) away. That was reportedly old Fred W's favorite round. Marketing you know "super short Magnum" sounds better....reloadersnest.com lists somthing like 27 loads for thge 250. Check that out. CL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts