Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read so much negative press on this sight about the new Marlin 45-70 I am having second thoughts about purchasing my first big bore.

I think I want a 22" or longer barrel in either a cowboy, classic, or xlr.

I do NOT plan to install a scope and feel like I just want a good peep sight (skinner or williams?).

What are you thoughts on the new marlins and what I am considering?

How about the Winchester 1885 high wall as an option?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Howdy and welcome to MO from central Florida! As my user name indicates; I'm an 1895 kinda guy. I don't have any cowboys or regular rifles in 45/70, just guide guns. I prefer the 18.5" barrel. From my standpoint they are the best but everyone has their own feelings on this.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with a Marlin, don't hesitate to buy a used one (built before 2009).

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I personally love my 45-70s and would rather shoot them than almost any other gun I have ever owned..

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have 2 marlin guide guns 45/70 and the accuracy of both is impressive. Winchester is nice but too expensive for me, I'm sure that they shoot just fine. I would say hold each and whatever is most comfy in you're hands.....go for it.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
You come to a Marlin board and ask what?

1895CB

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Marlin every time.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
No doubt there is negative press, but there are many good guns out there as well. I just bought a 336BL AND A 1895CB and have been extrmely pleased with both. I have not gotten my 338 yet, but not because I have not found one. The combination of funds and finding an appropriate gun has not occured yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi. You might look for a good used older Marlin, the 1895CB is one of my favorites. Also you might look at a Ruger No.1, I have one in .458 Lott and love it. Shoot mostly cast bullets at 45-70 MV's out of it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you want an 1895 Marlin, whether the standard 1895SS or the 1895CB cowboy model, I'd say go on Gunbroker and find a nice used one. The new ones are hit and miss ref quality.

Were I you, I'd get an 1885 High Wall. Single shots are just plain fun!! I keep looking at the 1885's, thinking one would be nice to go with my Shiloh Sharps. At the present time, your question is a no-brainer for me: 1885!!!

Here's some choices:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=216024886

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215515537

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215467248

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have an 1895 STP (16 inch) in 45/70 which I have set up as a scout rifle, and have just laid money down on a beautiful un-fired Browning 1885 High Wall 45/70 with 28 inch octagonal barrel. It's a Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 10th Anniversary Commemorative, one of 400 made, with silver colored receiver and steel butt plate (ouch!), beautiful but not gaudy engraving, and glorious wood. I found it unfired, but no box, at Cabelas for $1199. I'll post pics when I take it home - the BATF held back my paperwork! I DO intend to shoot this gun for fun, but I will never take it afield.

BTW: I questioned the Cabelas Gun Library guy about the price (AFTER putting down my money), asking why it was set so low. There are similar guns going at auction for $3000 and one is currently listed for $4500!!! He replied that at Cabelas they use their gi-normous gun database to determine what guns actually sell for in the real world. He said those astronomical figures are delusional, but at least one rifle did sell for 3 Grand:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976852656/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Rifles/Browning-Rifles/Singe-Shot/Browning_1885_Rocky_Mountain_Elk_Foundation_10th_Anniversary_Com.htm

A Delusional seller:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Browning-Single-Shot-Model-1895.cfm?gun_id=100088717&CFID=8297816&CFTOKEN=26254704e8810f40-119FEA68-9F99-2881-77A1ACAC48010DE8

A more realistic recent auction, I wish I had been there..... But mine has much prettier engraving ;)

http://www.icollector.com/Browning-Model-1885-Rocky-Mountain-Elk-Foundation-Commemorative-Single-Shot-Rifle-with-Scope-and-Box_i9387317

Browning is now making the 1885 again, tho there is nothing on their website about it!!!, calling it the B78 like the older gun, but they are in reality the same action as the later model 1885 which have a much better trigger. You can read about the new B78 in the Feb 2011 issue of Handloader on your local news stand, or download the article here:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/hl270partial.pdf

I have never shot an 1885, but if you ever handle one you will see how much prettier and well built they are than any Marlin. It's up to you if you want a beautiful gun that costs nearly twice as much.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
593 Posts
It really comes down to which one you like the most. As far as I am concerned nothing shoots like a Marlin. They are just very accurate guns. The barrel is for sure one thing Marlin has always done well. As far as "pretty" goes, it doesn't weigh much with me when I want a gun for the field. Pretty is nice hanging on the wall but my guns are used and I think dependability and function is a beauty in and of itself.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
I have a Marlin 1895 Classic in 45-70 with the 22 inch barrel that I wouldn't trade for the world. This for me is the perfect 45-70 and it shoots like a dream. Take the advice offered here and find one in used but nearly new condition and buy it, then never look back. There are others here much more knowledgeable than me that will help you with sights.

MM

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
That Browning 1885 is beautiful, congratulations.

JD338

·
Registered
597 Posts
You can get win highwalls for around 900 bucks on GB which is a couple hundred less than what they have gone for in the past.I think the gun market is a little flat right now on single shot rifles so if you want a japanese made highwall they are cheaper for now.A marlin can be got for a few hundred less and shoot just as well,my XLR and GS shoot very well.I got the GS for 461 out the door at Dick's and it is one of the best deals I've ever got.The wood is very pretty and it shoots 1 inch 5 shot groups at 60 yards already with the first handload I tried.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have had a High Wall and a 1895 45-70. What are your plains for the rifle? If you are going to hunt with it go with the 1895, The High Wall is a great rifle but my Marlin is a better hunting rifle. If I wanted a long range target rifle a Highwall or a Sharps would be my choice. If you decide to get a Marlin you can look for a used rifle for around 450-500 in like new condition.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had serveral Marlins over the years and a couple Winchesters. The Marlins, pre 2009, are far more accurate than the Winchesters. Some of the newer Winchesters (made in Japan) are closing in on accuracy and they can handle somewhat higher pressure loads. I'd go with a Marlin but avoid the 2009 or newer ones unless you can really look it over before buying. There are many older Marlins that are new or near new on sites such as gunbroker.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Marlin 1895 all the way. I bought mine new beteween xmas and new year in 2009. It is the most accurate gun I have that I haven't worked on to make it more accurate. It shoots winchester 300 grain factory ammo into one ragged hole at 100 yards with a burris fast fire. It has a silky smooth action and I have never experienced a fail to feed, fire or eject.

Besides even if you have trouble can't you buy like three 1895s for the cost of one high wall? The cost difference alone will pay for a lot of gunsmithing, heck you could probably send it to some nationally recognized smith and get everything fixed and a lot of custom work for the cost difference. Then you would have a really slick gun and a reapeater to boot. :)

My 1894 357 CB on the other hand, i have had to work that action significantly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts