Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded my first batch of 35 Remington. New Winchester cases, Hunters Supply 246 gr. flatnose bullet (.359 dia.), Lee dies with factory crimp. When seating the bullets a small ring of lead was shaved off as the bullet seated in the case and a small, rolled bulge formed near the case mouth of some cases. I'm thinking it has something to do with how I have my die adjusted, maybe too much crimp? If I adjusted it for less crimp, I could spin the bullet in the case. What am I doing wrong? It didn't do that with every case, just some.

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
First, back off the seating die so it does not crimp. Seat the bullet. What happens then?

Do you follow the instructions wherein the bullet is seated without crimping in the seating die?

Explain to us how you set up the seating die. Your answers will shed light on the problem. Did you turn to contact the case mouth when setting up the die sans bullet, then back off a half turn?

The most likely problem is improper die adjustment.

To restore case neck tension, size cases before loading.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
35remington's advice stands! Don't forget to flair the case mouth which could be your lead shaving problem. Also, don't forget to chamfer the
inside of the case mouth which will also help stop the lead shaving issue!
358 Win

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Absolutely correct advice. Let us know how the dies are set.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One of the problems with using a new batch of brass is to check to see the case length is too long after sizing and need of trimming. If the brass is too long that will cause that bulge at the crimp. Then after you are sure you case length is not too long, adjust your seating die for the proper crimp.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Looks long too , maybe not . You sure the sizer die is the right one?

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, I figured it out. I was curious why the bulge was only on one side of the case. Turns out some bullet lube (wax) was built up inside the die right at the crimping area. This caused the case to bulge. I took the die apart and cleaned out the wax, problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts