Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe been asked before but what was your first air rifle? mine was a Daisy model 25. hated screwing the tube in and out but man i bet i shot a million bb's out of it.It was deadly on pigeons once you figured out the trajectory. Wish i still had it.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My brother and I had an old Benjamin 22 pump up with a brass barrel. May have been painted black, originally, but most of the finish on the gun was long gone. We sure had fun with that old pellet gun.

Later, I got a Sheridan Blue Streak and that's one I wish I still had. In fact, looking for one of the original, made in Racine models, at the moment. Wonderful air rifles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Used late 60's Daisy Mod. 25, Plastic stock/pump grip. Had hundreds of hours of fun, putting thousands of BBs through it. Instilled a love of shooting which persists to this day.I shoot many different calibers in powder from .22 CB through .50 flint lock. None (with much chortling from my shooting buddies) is as much fun as my crosman 2289 or the Benji NP Trail. My Dad (with 85 y/o eyes) still raises a broad smile when plinking with his old Crosman Mod. 106.
PS, yeah, it was a PITA to screw in and load the tube in that Daisy 25, but it was 50 rnds spring fed, not gravity like so many others of the day, and never misfired. Simple fun

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
My first (and only) air rifle is a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm/.20cal my Dad bought for me as a kid; had to be around the early/mid 60's I'd say. I still have it, with the box and all too, and love the thing. It's probably been a couple years now since I took it out, but it still shot as good as the day he bought it on the last outing. I've read they changed hands in ownership a couple times since those days, and not sure if anything changed, but they were pretty well made and accurate. Might have to dig it out exercise it this weekend now thinking about it... :biggrin:

·
Registered
956 Posts
My first was a Benjamin 392. 22 pump. Not an old one unfortunately. A modern one haha. Still all brass. Good shooting rifle.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Daisy 25 here too. BB's would hook like a curve ball lol. I shot it so much though I figured out how to compensate.

Reactions: bubbub

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
My first (and only) air rifle is a Sheridan Blue Streak 5mm/.20cal my Dad bought for me as a kid; had to be around the early/mid 60's I'd say. I still have it, with the box and all too, and love the thing. It's probably been a couple years now since I took it out, but it still shot as good as the day he bought it on the last outing. I've read they changed hands in ownership a couple times since those days, and not sure if anything changed, but they were pretty well made and accurate. Might have to dig it out exercise it this weekend now thinking about it... :biggrin:
Yeah, Sheridan was bought out by Benjamin which was later bought out by Crosman. The Sheridan Blue Streak is still made, but not quite the same gun, now. Current one has a hardwood stock, instead of walnut and some plastic parts. Probably shoots just as well, though.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I also have a Sheridan Blue Streak from about 35 years ago. I ordered it with a Williams peep site. I used to take it in the back yard and shoot at a candle flame.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My first was a Daisy Model 10 Carbine Lever Action BB Rifle, circa 1977. And damn did that lever hurt if you got a finger in the way. My next one was a Crosman 766 American Classic, Third Variant, got it for Christmas in 1981. It was a GREAT, GREAT rifle. Carried that thing everywhere I went until I was about 14-15. Accurate as hell and reliable as could be. Probably put over 3000 rounds through it until it just quit working one day.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
My first air rifle was a 1966 Benjiman pump, my last one is a 1973 Silver Steak. They are for the most part the same rifle.

·
Registered
304 Posts
scan0002.jpg

On the right, Haenel model 303 .177. Did not fully appreciate at the time. Over taken by the quest of more bang in powder burners. Now I wish I still had it and never abused it when I did have it. Another cost in education. Oh well I guess on the bright side if it weren't for those mistakes I would not have what I have now.
Full pride in the Diana 34.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I don't remember the model. Circa 1962 Daisy BB gun - pretty short - lever action - turned the front end of the barrel to pour the BB's in a hole to load her. As has been stated, paid a price if you got it half cocked and lost control of the lever or happened to pull the trigger with the lever cocked out.

Scared a lot of sparrows with that gun. Hit a bunch just to watch them fly away after the BB bounced off. LOL

In it's later life you kinda watched the BB leave the barrel go on it's merry way just to arc to the ground 20'-30' away.

·
Banned
1,153 Posts
mine was a crosman 1377 with the removable stock. my mom didn't want me to have a bb gun so it took a long time of skimming a bit of cash off my paper route, lawn mowing and lemonade stand at the golf course monies before i could get one. i had to hide it down by the river in a hollow tree... lost it in a flood that came early. :(

·
Registered
931 Posts
Mine was a Crosman A200 (I think). Chistmas, 1961. Had a wood stock, cocked it by pumping the barrel once in and out, and one could get pretty fast with it, if not accurate. Held about 22 BBs. My buddy Mike had a Benjamin pump pellet pistol. He made a holster out of cardboard and an old sweatshirt. Geez, for years every Saturday we hiked across town to "The Crick" and hunted every type of game imaginable (which we did, imagining every starling was a gazelle and blue jays were worthy of lion status). Later we upgraded to .22's and engaged WWII enemies in the guise of ground squirrels, crows and magpies. And just the other day I was out in the yard with a company of little green Army men and an old daisy Cub. What really mows em down tho is a Umarex full auto on eight round burst mode...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Mine was a Crosman A200 (I think). Chistmas, 1961. Had a wood stock, cocked it by pumping the barrel once in and out, and one could get pretty fast with it, if not accurate. Held about 22 BBs. My buddy Mike had a Benjamin pump pellet pistol. He made a holster out of cardboard and an old sweatshirt. Geez, for years every Saturday we hiked across town to "The Crick" and hunted every type of game imaginable (which we did, imagining every starling was a gazelle and blue jays were worthy of lion status). Later we upgraded to .22's and engaged WWII enemies in the guise of ground squirrels, crows and magpies. And just the other day I was out in the yard with a company of little green Army men and an old daisy Cub. What really mows em down tho is a Umarex full auto on eight round burst mode...
Can't tell you how many enemy Army Men I took out with my Crosman. We would build elaborate battlefields and bunkers, tin cans and Hot Wheels, put up hundreds of them, stand back 10 yards and act like snipers. We would go all day long. When the miniature GI Joe action figures came out, we used those. It was great fun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
mine was a bsa supersport .177 when i was 18,used to shoot flies with it in the back garden

1 - 16 of 16 Posts