Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello! Been a reader here here for a little while and finally gifted myself a new rifle! I’ve been contemplating putting a low, fixed power scope forward on the rail, but recently have been second guessing myself and not sure if I shouldn’t do a more traditional setup. Do y’all have any recommendations? I’m not likely to be shooting anything much further than 100 yards where I am.

Also, I’m not a reloader (yet), but the consensus regarding factory loads for whitetails appears to be that there is no consensus ha. I don’t buy into the "too much for deer" narrative, but have seen some posts saying 325 Hornady’s leave a little to be desired with meat damage and others saying they’re going to pass right through. Some also swear by 405s. Any ideas?

Anyway, nice to be joining!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Welcome Viggy from the banks of the mighty Mississippi!

Yes you'll get all kind of opinions on ammo for that beautiful SBL but the truth is, whatever ammo it likes best is what you need to shoot at deer. Most any ammo made for the 45/70 is plenty for your purposes. Just get some you think you'd like, shoot it and find out whether your gun likes it.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Hello ViggyStardust and welcome to the forum from N.E. Indiana!!! Nice rifle!!! I agree with what Mop says, see what works best!!

Reactions: no primers

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Welcome from SW Arkansas. My advice would be to try someone else's scout scope set up. If none available, buy a cheap one. If you like the set up, you can then buy the 2.5 Leopold or the 2.75 Burris.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I agree with the general concensus. You just have to see what your rifle likes. A lot of people get the best accuracy out of the 325gr gummy tips but they seem to fragment a lot and do a lot of meat damage. I personally reload and shoot either 405gr cast or 465gr cast but the factory 405gr will do you more than well. When you decide to get into reloading that is where this old caliber really starts to shine and makes it so versatile. The ghost ring your SBL came with will perform great out to 100yds. With my tired old eyes I have to scope all mine but I still love em all the same. Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your stay here.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry I didn't chime in right away. I was busy wiping the drool off my chin after seeing that beauty you bought!
Of course, with lever actions, there's always a chance of pre-ignition of the rounds in the magazine; so many of us go with the Hornady 325's with the plastic or "gummy" tips. I use them in my Blued 1895 45-70. To tell the truth, I've never noticed that much damage from sharding of the 325s. Certainly no more than any other bullets from any of my other guns. I do shoot for accuracy, and I do tend to use ballistic tipped bullets in my other guns. My 336C 30-30 uses standard soft-lead tipped bullets, and they occasionally shard, but usually there's a bone involved. The 45-70 is a BIG bullet, and the bullet itself does more damage than most others, and it takes a while for it to stop. I've referred to these rounds upon occasion as the sledge-hammers of the leverguns, and sometimes I think folks forget that these were originally designed to be a destructive round. That's why the cavalry (Thus the label "Government") carried these in the old West. Anything above 400 grains does a great job, but increases the push from the gun. I say "push" rather than "kick" because these 45-70s tend to give you a hard shove rather than a kick. That changes and becomes a bit closer to a "kick" when you use the high-grain bullets. Either way, these are REALLY fun to shoot.
I have mine equipped with a similar Picatinny rail on top, and I bought a set of low-profile mounts for my scope. I added the Leupold Rifleman 2 x 7 scope. Not sure if that model is still available today. I ran into a few issues doing this; the first being that I had to strike a balance between pulling the scope far enough back (where I might get a scope-strike if I were too careless) where it would clear the hammer, and far enough forward to get good visuals when I lined up for a shot. I solved this by bringing the scope only just far enough back to clear the hammer, and adding a hammer-extension off the side of the hammer. Like you, I was conflicted about tampering with the classic/historic/ultra-cool lines of this guide gun. But the end result is that it puts the round inside a 1" diamond every single time with this scope at 100 yards, so I have been able to forgive myself!
Here's mine. I also added the flip-covers on the Leupold scope.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Viggy,

I approached the 45/70 a bit different, having read MUCH about cast bullet use before buying. My desire was to cast and hunt with my own bullets and although I read a lot of glowing reports about cast Wide Flat Nose bullet results, I still need to approach those first game shots with a bit of "faith".

NO MORE! Have been there and taken a growing pile of deer and brought home three elk at this point.

Started with a 355gr WFN cast and after one deer decided that wasn't for me and moved on to a much heavier cast WFN bullet at a much lower velocity and am delighted with the results! Every deer with one exception dropped where it stood.

In general, I am a scope user on my hunting rifles and have been so for about 50 years, so I quickly scoped my RUGER #1. First with a Leupold 2X7 and then made the switch to a Leupold CDS (Custom Dial System) 2X7. Good change, like that scope, and it does away with the guess-ta-mation with the rainbow like trajectory.

So, bullets ------, have used nothing but home grown cast bullet with great results. However there are a number of commercial caster that have worthy Wide Flat Nose cast offerings.

By the way, you don't need warp velocity to get er done. Good bullet at mid 1000 - 2000fps velocity! FORGET light for caliber and high velocity. Not much is to be gained by attempting to make the 45/70 what it is not and never will be. If "flat" trajectory is your goal, well there are many other cartridges just so much better suited for that endeavor.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
I hand load but my rifle really likes Federal Fusion 300gr. All my kills have been bang! flop! They are very accurate and I get 1" groups at 100 yds off a sandbag.

Beautiful rifle you have, congratulations! Welcome, glad to have you with us.

·
Registered
21,220 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! The reality in my mind is that you can't go wrong with how you configure that 1895 SBL as long as you like the results. I included a shot of mine just to give you some ideas and I am already in the process of making this into the exact gun I want.

I think that is the one thing the gracious people on the forum have conveyed to me...There is no right and wrong for these guns... there are just things you think look good, bullets you like to shoot, things you want to experience and results you like to discuss than think some more about. As far as bullets go, pretty much anything you can send from the barrel of that gun will drop a deer at 100 yards and pretty much anything you can send from that gun will drop a deer at 20, and 50 and 200 as long as you put it on target. Go to one of the larger online retailers (Midway is my recommendation but there are tons) and search for 45-70 ammunition. You will find everything from light to heavy, fast to slow and everything in between. Then go out and have a blast!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome, "Original Poster". :cool:

Great thread, with all the pics.
IDEAS. That's been my downfall, or inspiration for many guns.

Currently working on being a semi-ignorant newbie.
After assembly, I'll have a rifle that will be unique and need to learn its preferred diet.

This forum has generated a LOT of business for the aftermarket, soon to be in the forms shown after negotiating the products into my 1895 22" bbl. .45-70, with extra shots, which Marlin never made...but it will look like the guns pictured in this thread, only 'different'.
Can't wait to give it to professional gunsmiths for the transformation.

Again, welcome and enjoy your new rifle~!!!

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You got some good advice from Crusty Deary Ol'Coot. Heavy & decent speed kills.

I am a traditional archer as my username says. I shoot 300 grain broadheads with a 45# longbow. Slow moving & heavy, but very penetrating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello! Been a reader here here for a little while and finally gifted myself a new rifle! I’ve been contemplating putting a low, fixed power scope forward on the rail, but recently have been second guessing myself and not sure if I shouldn’t do a more traditional setup. Do y’all have any recommendations? I’m not likely to be shooting anything much further than 100 yards where I am.

Also, I’m not a reloader (yet), but the consensus regarding factory loads for whitetails appears to be that there is no consensus ha. I don’t buy into the "too much for deer" narrative, but have seen some posts saying 325 Hornady’s leave a little to be desired with meat damage and others saying they’re going to pass right through. Some also swear by 405s. Any ideas?

Anyway, nice to be joining!
Congrats on the rifle. I bought the same on 8 months ago. My advice is to totally strip the rifle down before shooting. I found SS machine filings inside the receiver of mine. Had several issues with mine, but kept working through it. I put a Wild West Trigger on it, and the hammer would drag on the bolt the entire way. The folks at Wild West sent me a new trigger, and all was well again.

I currently shoot a Noe cast 350 grain bullet. Tried all kinds of powders, and had good luck with Unique, 3031 and others. I’ve been playing with some power coated bullets. Below is my last results.

That was 5 shots at 50 yards with Harbor Freight power. Look close at the big hole. Three of the five rounds went through it. I wish I could have held it together for a five shots!

I had a generic 3x9 scope on it, and recently went to the Vortex scout rifle scope in 2x7. I really like the scope for the money and the flexibility to dialing in the magnification. Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Very briefly... a perfect 100 yd. setup.

Scope: Leupold VX Freedom 2x7x33
Ammo: Remington Green Box 405 grain flat point.

Reactions: Marlinjunkie

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome aboard Viggy - Congrats on your rifle! For deer and hogs - and any vermin that happens by while hunting the other 2 - I have been using Barnes VorTx 300 ammunition for a few years. My rifle likes it, penetration and wound channels are impressive - mostly pass through's with great blood trails, even on hogs. Good luck and have fun

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.