Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to the range with my first 45-70 loads. They are.

49.1gr H4198
300 gr jhp (remington)
CCI 200 LR Primer
New Remington Brass
Factory crimped 3/4 turn

They should produce about 2028fps. I only loaded 20 shells, and got the data from the new lee reloading manual. In this forum and the big boar forum it became obvious the H-4198 is the preferred powder.

I will post the results tomorrow, or if I blow my face off my wife will post my hospital room number so you can send flowers. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Don't forget eye, ear, and shoulder protection. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
jrank 45-70 said:
Tomorrow I am going to the range with my first 45-70 loads. They are.

49.1gr H4198
300 gr jhp (remington)
CCI 200 LR Primer
New Remington Brass
Factory crimped 3/4 turn

They should produce about 2028fps. I only loaded 20 shells, and got the data from the new lee reloading manual. In this forum and the big boar forum it became obvious the H-4198 is the preferred powder.

I will post the results tomorrow, or if I blow my face off my wife will post my hospital room number so you can send flowers. :shock: :shock:
That should be a mild and fun load to shoot.In Hodgdon's #27 Manual they show 55 grains of H-4198 as a starter with the Sierra 300 grainer and 60 grains as max.

Have fun....Jayco

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only range close to me is an indoor 25 yards range. They allow rifles, so I thought I would try the loads out there. They performed very well. The two three shot groups were less than 1/2 inch across with all three holes overlapping. Of course this is at 25 yards. The recoil was quite a bit stiffer than factory.... 55 grains huh??? The real difference was in the noise level. The three other people shooting at the range just stood against the back wall until I finished shooting. The range has a drop ceiling, and with every shot the muzzle brake created a nice snowfall for me.

The 45lc loads I tried were

19.1gr H4227
300gr XTP JHP
Once fired remington brass
Federal LP Primers

These rounds were as strong as any 44mag I have fired. They grouped very well, and the brass fell from the cylinder after every round of fire. I shot 50 rounds without any issues, but, my hand is pretty sore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts