Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just added a 1968 model 444 to the other Marlins. I got it used for fair price. The action felt gritty, and only problem was the rounds would hit the top of the chamber. I disassembled it and clean everything up including the magazine tube. I reassembled it and the action was not gritty, so I went to sighted in and put one round in the magazine tube and open the lever and it stuck open with the round about half way out on the magazine. I had to remove the level to remove the round. I made sure all the screws where tight and tried it again, with the same results. Any idea on what did to cause this and how to fix it. I am looking forward to using it during deer season, and my son can use the model 30AS in 30-30. Thanks for any help or ideas.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Were you loading Hornady Leverevolution ammo into your '68?

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
If you are using the Hornady Gummy Bear ammo, (GB) you need to first put a normal round in the magazine, the original followers don't work so well with the GB's. I would also clean the barrel with foaming bore cleaners, a couple of times, before sighting in with the GB's.

Reactions: Boarmaster

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loading Remington 240gr SP (R444M). It was doing OK except for the bullet hitting the top of the chamber and the action feeling gritty, until I cleaned it and retigthen the screws.

I used Ed's Red and some JB paste to clean the barrel, but except for the action feeling gritty the rifle was pretty clean, even the magazine tube. After cleaning the gritty feeling went away and I can drop a round in the ejection port and the rounds load perfect, but put one or more rounds in the magazine tube and work the lever down and it locks open and the round is stuck about half way out of the tube. I romped the magazine cap, sping and the lever and the round will slide out the tube.

Thanks
Paul

·
Super Moderator
7,958 Posts
Are you cycling it slow? If so don't, cycle it fast and fully.

Reactions: joe12180

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Someone may have replaced the lever or carrier, or had jamming issues and modified the carrier.

Does one of them look out of place on the rifle?
Does the carrier show evidence of being messed with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried working it slow and fast still does it. Carrier looks good, lever has some wear but nothing jumps out as being out of normal wear. Could I have installed the carrier wrong? It looks pretty straight forward, but I guess I did something wrong when I disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, because until then it was feeding from the magazine tube. I only cycled 10 rounds from the tube before cleaning. I went back and checked the loading gate screw, I read hear that can cause a feeding problem and broke it off, so I will be ordering one tonight. Would the loading gate screw on my model 30AS work, just I can keep working the 444 until I get one in?

·
Premium Member
4,170 Posts
Loading gate screws are all the same, so you can go ahead with the switch...snug it down with some clear nail polish and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: mt_sourdough

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
It could be that the extractor is to tight. Does the round look like it's hanging up when it meets the extractor. If so, there is a sticky in the how-to section below.
A little bending on the extractor and radiusing sharp edges with do wonders!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
You know....
Cornbush had this problem with the 336/444 he's building, over the weekend.
The problem turned out to be a magazine spring that had worked its way around the follower. As such, the follower was not being allowed to push the rounds as far as it should have, into the action.
Did you disassemble the magazine when you cleaned the rifle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I disassembled the magazine when I cleaned it. If I do not have to work late today, I will replace the loading gate screw and see if I can get a photo of the jaw as the rim is not up to the bolt yet when it jams.

Thanks
Paul

·
Super Moderator
16,031 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Take a good look at the magazine follower. It should be flush with, or extending just past, the inside face of the receiver.
If the spring isn't seated properly inside the follower, it will get jammed in the bulge and stop the follower about 1-1.5" short.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Magazine follower is flush or maybe .015" past the receiver. Pretty comfortable in disassembly/reassembly as it is just like my model 30AS, which had a broken level and damaged carrier in it when I got it, I replaced them and the rifle runs great. The only thing I did different from the link Mr. Fixit posted was I tightened the screws as I went. I will try putting back together and leave them loose unit everything is back together.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the loading gate screw in today. Reassembled the rifle and it jammed. Then remembered what Mr. Fixit posted and disassembled then reassembled, but did not tighten the screws down until everything was back together and it ran slick as butter. Thanks for the help with this problem. By the way just picked a 1894 in .357 someone traded because the round would jam against the top of the chamber every now and then. I think my Marlins just keep growing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts