Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a friend wanted to go to the shop today to get a tactical shotgun and as we were leaving I saw a 39A on the shelf and tried to walk away...two hours later I was back to buy it. I just bought a Ruger American a week ago, and NYC's laws require a 90 day period between registrations so I need to wait until the end of January to take it home with me (yes, I'm embarrassed to even say that's how the laws are here.)

Serial number 18xxxx, puts it at 1982 right? JM stamped, "Original Golden" on the barrel but black trigger (standard for pre-1985?). Wood has a few minor dings in it but still looks really good, metal is in all good condition with very good blueing, screws aren't stripped, half-cock safety (no cross bolt safety). A little dried up gunk around the lever, but nothing I can't clean in 5 minutes.

I've seen them go for $390-1500 on gun broker, so paying $425 felt okay, especially at the last gun shop in Brooklyn where the prices are typically a little higher than other places. They don't come around too often so I had to jump on the deal when it showed itself, because I might not see one in there again for a long time.

Good deal? Bad deal? What does the black trigger mean in terms of production/model? And when did cross bolt safety become standard?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Now you need a couple of boxes (the bigger the better) and something to shoot at to really appreciate your new rifle!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts