Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I took our shotguns and our dog out to the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club in Washington today. Yes, they're paid-for pheasants, not wild. We had a blast! ;) The walking was tough in the knee-deep snow. The shooting was pretty easy. The dog worked himself silly. He was exhausted afterwards.

Five decent points. Five good retrieves. Often dragging his belly through the snow. Maverick worked hard and did well. He's a rescue dog, and has turned out pretty great, all he needed was a second chance.

My 30 year old son uses a 50 year old 20 gauge Ithaca (by SKB) double barrel and #5 steel shot. I used a 30 year old 12 gauge Browning Citori and #6 steel shot.

Dog did a nice job on five points and a great job on five retrieves! Good boy!

Pheasant hunting is my favorite and has been for 55 years, since my first pheasant hunt.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would of loved to be with you guys, looks like you had a very nice day I know the dog enjoyed it. Steve!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Great Pics and thanks for sharing. Nothing better then your son and your dog enjoying it with you. I too have enjoyed hunting pheasants for over 50 years as well.

Reactions: M700

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I've only been pheasant hunting a few times. We have very limited areas where they can be found and I don't have a dog. It was fun though. I'd like to get back to some bird hunting. Maybe grouse if I can find them.

·
Super Moderator
14,245 Posts
Paid for works Guy. .....................I was first introduced to pheasant right here in what was once a vast expanse that ran just east along the mountains I live just under. Forgot the name of the club, but ran by one of the big winery families.
Wonderful land back then with pheasant, quail, rabbits and occasionally I'd see deer .......always coyotes.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
My son and I took our shotguns and our dog out to the Cooke Canyon Hunt Club in Washington today. Yes, they're paid-for pheasants, not wild. We had a blast! ;) The walking was tough in the knee-deep snow. The shooting was pretty easy. The dog worked himself silly. He was exhausted afterwards.

Five decent points. Five good retrieves. Often dragging his belly through the snow. Maverick worked hard and did well. He's a rescue dog, and has turned out pretty great, all he needed was a second chance.

My 30 year old son uses a 50 year old 20 gauge Ithaca (by SKB) double barrel and #5 steel shot. I used a 30 year old 12 gauge Browning Citori and #6 steel shot.

Pheasant hunting is my favorite and has been for 55 years, since my first pheasant hunt.

Regards, Guy

Lucky dog. Lucky owner.

·
Super Moderator
3,392 Posts
Nice job by the 3 of you! Maverick is looking good! Thanks for the pictures and story.

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts

Regards, Guy
My favorite thing too!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's mate, I'm only plucking pheasants cause the pheasant plucker's late!!
Say that fast 3 times!
It is good to hunt with a working gun dog that knows his job. Sometimes we are spoilt in this country, we wouldn't have to pay for a hunt like that but hey, you just do it differently.
I am not doubt sure that some of those fees paid go back into the reserve making it possible for others to enjoy for many years to come.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm not a pheasant plucker, I'm a pheasant plucker's mate, I'm only plucking pheasants cause the pheasant plucker's late!!
Say that fast 3 times!
It is good to hunt with a working gun dog that knows his job. Sometimes we are spoilt in this country, we wouldn't have to pay for a hunt like that but hey, you just do it differently.
I am not doubt sure that some of those fees paid go back into the reserve making it possible for others to enjoy for many years to come.
It's been so long sense I undressed a Pheasant.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Looks like a Grand time was had by all! Mavrick looks a lot like my Pudel pointer, she has been a natural bird finding machine too.

·
Premium Member
12,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Guy... Is that a 525 Golden Clays your shooting there?
It's older than the 525 series. Probably a 325 or 425? I'm honestly not sure the exact model. It's got to be 30 years old or so. I'm not the original owner. I like it. On the heavy side, has ported barrels and here's a photo of the receiver:

Guy

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sure looks like my 525 Golden Clays I sold a few years back. Been kicking myself on that sale daily. You are right... They are "hefty" and should have been put on a diet, but boy do they work n shoot good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts